Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2014: Review and Resolution

Another year has come and gone. This year really zipped by. We are in the throes of winter and I keep thinking it's still October! Is it really almost 2015? I'm really glad winter is going fast.

 
It's the end of the year annual assessment:

GREAT THINGS:

HOME IMPROVEMENTS:

Crawlspace is finally fixed! Old furnace and heating ducts are gone! The rats no longer have a "hotel" so they are gone, too! You can't imagine how wonderful this feels after nine years of fighting the winter war every year when the weather gets cold. I've spied several opossums wandering outside my house in the early morning hours and none of them run TO my house for cover. They now run to the neighbor's houses. LOL.

New heating!  My house is very toasty. I really like it when I come in from the cold I can stand in front of a new Cadet heater and feel hot air hitting me. This wasn't possible with a heat-pumped furnace as the blowing air feels cold. The house seems to have less dust, too. Unfortunately, my heating bills are $20 higher every month, but I'm so happy to be warm I don't even consider that a negative.

Closet remodels! Oh, such a joy! I learned some new construction skills, bought a new circular saw (something I've wanted to do for years), and I now have brand new, beautiful closets in various shades of bright orange. Love it. It's taken me nine years, but I think this house is finally coming together. It's a great feeling.


OTHER JOYFUL THINGS:

Pinterest. I'm really enjoying having an account with Pinterest and creating boards for all my favorite things. It's like having a whole bunch of photo albums or scrapbooks. It's a new entertainment geared toward people who like to organize and look at pictures.  Fun!

Garage sale. I love garage sales! I love getting rid of junk and making some pocket money.

New slippers!

I finally bought a new organic cotton-covered, wool comforter! SO wonderfully toasty at night. I waited years to buy this and it's been a wonderful purchase. I also bought organic cotton sheets. Such a luxury!

Art and crafts entertainment: block paintings, beads, bench, and watercolor cartoons. Fun.

Gardening.


MIDDLE GROUND:

HEALTH.

Good and bad. I attempted to find a relief via thyroid drugs and actually found a way to tolerate them. Unfortunately, the drugs seem to make the fatigue worse and added inflammation, pain, mild depression, and excruciating starvation to the mix. I should have known better, but I had to rule it out. Since I stopped the drugs, nearly all my symptoms went away and even the low level fatigue hasn't returned. I think the drugs must have given my thyroid a kick-start and maybe even kick-started my adrenals since I seem to be more stress tolerant. Before I wasn't able to do much in the way of exercise, but post-drugs I started doing morning stretches, rebounding, more walking, and even jogging. That extra energy only lasted about two months, but the fatigue still hasn't returned. 



SHIT HAPPENS:

INJURIES.

I slammed my right foot into the cement. It was hell not being able to walk for two months. I felt incredibly helpless, vulnerable, and in pain not to mention poor as the doctor's appointments and x-rays were expensive. I hope to never repeat something like that again. Knock on wood.

Jogging is bad. It was outstanding for two weeks and then my right leg gave out. Exercise intolerance and muscle weakness may be to blame. I had to stop all activities and hobble around again. I think this leg was damaged and weakened from the previous injury, and jogging only stressed it more. So frustrating.

SLUMLORD EXPERIENCES AND RENTAL DISAPPOINTMENTS

Rental attempt and deposit loss. What an incredible waste of money! Dealing with sleazy landlords doesn't give me much confidence in humanity. Then again, it made me appreciate my house so maybe overall this was a good thing? I'm still not sure how to move, but I've learned to deal with it.

Way more good things than bad things. I think that means it's been a good year!


 
 
NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION:  JOYFULNESS!!! Every minute, every hour, every day, every month, throughout the year. Small joys, medium joys, huge joys, make-believe joys. Lots of joy no matter where I can find it.
 
I think I might have to stop reading the news, too. Abused children, teen suicides, dead babies, murdered parents, violence, war. I'm so tired of all the un-joyfulness of media. Sometimes it feels overwhelming. So much of it feels like it's out of my control, but it certainly contributes to my attitude.
 
 

 
 
What is your New Year's Resolution?
 
 
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!
 

1 comment: