Saturday, October 24, 2015

Car Shopping for the Chemically Sensitive

Chemical sensitivity makes car shopping hazardous! New cars smell of off-gassing plastics. Used cars smell of cleaning agents, air fresheners, cigarette smoke, stale perfume, or dogs. Salespeople or owners wear perfume or cologne. Dealerships smell of chemicals. The whole experience can be stressful, traumatizing and life threatening.

My last experience buying a car was ten years ago. I went from dealership to dealership and faced a number of perfumed salesmen and air freshened cars. Finally found my "farm van" sold to me by a rare fragrance-free salesperson, drove it home with all the windows down wearing a mask, and over the course of two weeks did everything possible to clean, sanitize, and de-fragrance it. Although they didn't use scented cleaners on the inside, they did clean the engine with incredibly toxic chemicals that infiltrated into the interior. I used vinegar, baking soda, and bowls of freshly ground coffee as natural air cleaners while I vacuumed it repeatedly. heated it, aired it out, and steam cleaned it with fragrance-free shampoo. It worked! I love my van. It provides a place to sleep should my house become contaminated, I use it for camping, and it hauls everything from rabbit manure to gravel to cedar wood chips to yard sale finds. It even moved me to my current residence. Unfortunately, it's getting old with 240,000 miles on it. I had no idea engines could last that long! I needed a backup vehicle.

Five years ago I started car shopping. I knew it was going to take a long time. Limited to three toxic exposures per day, it was a slow process, but I started smelling the interiors of cars. Most of the cheaper, economical cars like Toyota, Honda, Saturn, Kia, Hyundai, Fords, Chevys, and Nissans use cheap plastic for their interiors. One whiff and the migraines and nausea would start. I discovered only two cars I could tolerate well: Mini Cooper and the Smart Car. They still had a smell, especially new, but if used, the smell was hardly noticeable. The Mini Cooper dealership stopped using toxic cleaners and I found out they do not accept trade-ins with cigarette smoke or dog smell as the smells are impossible to eradicate. This gave me hope.

I test drove a Smart Car and although it was small and economical, both important requirements, the transmission shifting was noisy. It was whiny. It didn't seem to want to go very quickly and I hated the steering wheel shifting options. At eight feet long it was cute, but too small. A logging truck or semi would destabilize it by just passing by!

For years I test drove Mini Coopers. I think they are adorable and they handle well with touchy steering wheels and brakes. Unfortunately, I wasn't sure I would like the excessive shaking over bumpy roads and what seemed like a lack of visibility with some of the models. I was told I'd get used to it, but these cars are twice as expensive than others. I shouldn't have to get used to it. The last test drive I noticed the dashboard was rattling. The salesperson told me that's normal with all Minis. Hmmm... Maintenance is 20-30% more than regular cars and insurance way more expensive, too. Several salespeople offered to scout used ones for me, but no one came through. I think they prefer selling the high priced brand new ones to rich people. Of course.

When I gave up on the Mini Cooper, I felt at a loss for what to do. My mechanic suggested a Scion. I'd never heard of a Scion. They are made by Toyota. I happened to drive by a Toyota dealership early on a Sunday morning and thought I'd just go look. I just wanted to see what they looked like although I was still worried about the smell of cleaning solutions and new cars are out of the question. The manager was there and he suggested shopping for the newly-traded-in-but-not-detailed-yet cars. Brilliant! I found one car that had no smell, but it was a larger size sedan. I want a small car. This plan of action, however, was motivating.

The next day I drove to the city for some car shopping. I asked five different dealerships if I could shop their newly-traded-in-but-not-detailed cars yet. All but one said NO as it was against their policy. OK, I guess I won't be buying their cars!

Then I visited the Toyota dealership, asked the very eager, newly-hired salesboys if they were wearing cologne. One of them immediately looked disappointed so I knew he was definitely smelly. Live and learn young salesboy! But the other one said quickly and cheerfully, "I'm not!!" He grinned from ear to ear. So adorable. I asked about the newly-traded-in-but-not-yet detailed cars and he said, Sure! Whatever you need! My new, young, adorable salesboy took me to the secret lot where they hid the newly-traded-in-by-not-detailed-yet cars. Unfortunately nearly all of them were white and had way more than 100,000 miles on them. Nope. I don't do white, black, red or silver. Please! I need a pleasing color!

The next day in my little town I saw a purple car. I knew it wasn't a Smart Car since they don't come in purple. It was a Scion IQ! A Smart Car made by Toyota! Wasn't that the make my mechanic suggested? I'd never even heard or seen this model before. So cute! I did some online research. They are about 2 feet longer and sturdier than a Smart Car, better engines, with great gas mileage (35 to 40 mpg). And, of course, made by Toyota. However, Toyota discontinued the IQ last year due to disinterest. I picked my favorite color (blue), found a photo, and placed it on my desktop. I figured this was good karma.

My next trip into the city I decided to stop at the Toyota dealership, sneak into the back secret lot to see the newly-traded cars...and there it sat: the exact car that was my desktop photo! A blue 2012 Scion IQ with only 37,000 miles! It was just returned as a lease that day, but the dealership hadn't decided if they would buy it for re-sale. I knew it was my car! Unfortunately, they knew I felt this way, too, along with my special needs that I made plainly clear. I paid more than I think I should have, but as I've said time and time again, chemical sensitivity is expensive.

Although it wasn't detailed with the smelly carpet shampoo, they did clean it and I think that involved using some kind of toxic cleaner. After driving it home without a mask (I forgot it!), I was very sick all night. Not a good way to feel after buying a car.

Currently I have baking soda and freshly ground coffee in it soaking up the stink, but I can drive it wearing a mask. I am also heating it up and airing it out repeatedly, as well as using an air purifier. It's always a risk but I have confidence it'll be chemical-free with patience and effort.

I am still keeping my van for local transportation, hauling, and camping, but now by using the new car for long distance grocery runs, the van may last a little longer.



NEW BABY PHOTOS:




 
HOORAY!!
I have to admit I want to re-paint my house to match and buy a whole new BLUE wardrobe.

LOL!


2 comments:

  1. Wow!!!! So so so so cute! I like your car very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very cute! I'm so glad you finally found a good one that you love. Happy (and safe) trails!

    ReplyDelete