Sunday, July 1, 2018

Garden Update

My fruit trees are going crazy. More fruit than I've ever had before. I guess it pays to spray them down all winter with sulfur.

The apple tree is so crowded it has expelled at least a thousand apples as it self-thins.


Below is the second bucket of baby apples that sacrificed themselves for their bigger and stronger siblings. I just hope the apples that survive don't look ugly like they did last year. Crossing my fingers the sulfur worked on the fungus/virus/bacteria or whatever that was. We'll see. It's a learning process for sure.



The Italian prune tree is the same and all the extra prunes are now turning yellow and falling off. I'm trying to help both trees by thinning them by hand as well.



The cherry tree has never had so many cherries. It has two different varieties and the early variety is packed, more cherries than I've ever seen. As I recall, last year this variety produced about two cherries. And that is not an exaggeration!


The squash and carrots on the deck are doing well, too!


I have a really hard time thinning plants. In these two tubs I think I planted eight seeds each. I knew I couldn't keep them all, but at the time I didn't think they would all sprout. ARGH! It was like murdering babies. I ended up keeping two plants in each tub which is probably too many, but I couldn't kill the last one. They seem to be alright so far, but maybe when their vines start spreading they won't want their mate in the tub with them!

The fig tree, on the other hand, has produced NOTHING.


The friend that gave it to me told me to put it in a pot as I wanted to take it with me when I move, but I think that was bad advice. Another friend said when he put his fig in the ground it finally started producing. I'll transplant it this fall, but the problem is I don't know where! I've run out of full-sun space.

No comments:

Post a Comment