Sunday, July 8, 2018

More Self-Reliance

I called and made an appointment with the local roofing company to get a quote on my roof, or rather adding a vent to my roof because a crawlspace gets so hot the neighboring closet feels like an oven and a STINK permeates the whole upstairs including my bedroom. It is unbearable. Not to mention a little scary and toxic. It's not a hot wood smell as the last construction worker tried to tell me. I know what wood smells like. It's either insulation or this ugly, cheap paneling that looks like it is plastic laminate. Although I remodeled the closets on the other side of the house, I saved this one. This roasting/stinking problem only started after I sealed up that crawlspace to keep the bees out and in turn, removed what little ventilation there was. Last year I left a hole from old electrical wiring open and covered it with wire mesh, but it's still not enough ventilation.

This closet is a lot smaller than the other two on the other side of the house with a small four foot sliding wood door as an entrance. I've never used it for anything.

So, the night before the appointment I decided maybe I should investigate the problem more than half-ass so I opened the closet and ripped out the ceiling (cheap, ugly paneling). WOW! There is a ventilation hole in the ceiling that was covered the last time the roof was done. (See below photo.)

In this photo I already started putting new wood lining at the back which is why those boards are so bright. The side showing is the cheap, ugly paneling. The closest paneling is like a cheap wood laminate, but the paneling farthest away has a plastic film. Gross. Underneath there is insulation...awesome. I don't have to buy insulation for this closet.



The wall to the left is quality solid wood bead board
probably original from the 1920s. This closet
will be much less work to remodel.

AND there was plastic stapled to the ceiling. Hmmm...that gives me pause. Was it leaking? I can't see any water damage. I wonder if someone didn't install the roof vent and it leaked? I hope that is all it is. The back wall used to be open to the crawlspace so if it was leaking maybe that's why no one replaced the back wall of the closet? This, unfortunately, is why I am willing to hire a professional roofer to solve mysteries and do the job right.

Unfortunately, the roofing guy didn't show! Am I surprised? I use the word "professional" carelessly when describing local construction people.

I'm on my own. Actually seeing the old vent placement gives me confidence. I decide to watch a few videos on how it's done. Since I ripped out the ceiling paneling it doesn't stink nearly as badly so I'm looking forward to ripping out the wall paneling and replace it with wood. Funny how small projects tend to domino into bigger ones.

After gathering supplies and preparing, it only took about two hours and an hour of that was trying to cut through four layers of composition tile. That alone was exhausting.

Those white dots of caulking should dry clear...I hope.

Inside view.

It's going to be a hot day today so let's see how it works. And then I'll be looking forward to rain to see if it leaks.

I saved $150.00. I am so proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment