Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Reducing the Toxic Load

The key to chemical sensitivity relief is to reduce the toxic overload. As I mentioned in the "WHY ME?" post on causation theories, most of us are unable to detox the garbage we accumulate in our bodies out of our bodies fast enough. Normally this is done through perspiration, urination, and digestive elimination, but we are overloaded so it's not happening fast enough nor efficiently enough.  How to reduce this toxic overload falls into two main categories:  avoidance and detoxification.

Poisoning the Moon

Avoiding chemicals is, to put it mildly,  nearly impossible. They have infiltrated every aspect of our lives and are carried to the nether regions on air and water. Even Antarctica has levels of toxins in the ice! The mission is to do as much avoiding as possible. This will involve a whole lot of change in dietary practices, personal habits, and environmental exposures. Some of these steps will be easy, and others will involve a lifestyle overhaul. Detoxification involves doing some strange things to assist your various body systems in their own cleansing mechanisms.  In summary,  avoid putting more chemicals in and detox the chemicals out.

These are some ideas that have helped me:

Eating organic, whole foods instead of the Standard American Diet of chemically-enhanced junk food, fast food and processed food.


Stop using all chemical household cleaners replacing them with less toxic alternatives.

Stop using poisonous beauty products - go natural.


Questioning every product purchase and opting for less toxic alternatives.

Quitting a toxic job and replacing it with a less toxic alternative.


Moving from the city to the country.


Replacing ignorant, smelly people with smart, respectful, fragrance-free friends.


Replacing smelly entertainment with less toxic alternatives.


Regularly detoxing with special diets and body cleansing methods.


Buy a more environmentally-friendly car. (I haven't done this yet, but it's on my  dream list!)


You are thinking, "I can't do this." Yes, you can.  Don't look at the whole picture. Do the easy stuff first and tackle it step by step - one piece at a time.

6 comments:

  1. It isn't easy, but I am on my way to doing this. I am still figuring out what I am allergic to or sensitive to. So far I am allergic to milk and chicken and sensitive to salicylates, eggs, and beef. The milk allergy surprised me, but I knew I couldn't drink milk. It's giving up the other dairy products that make it harder. I am going to try turkey and see if I tolerate that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! We are all unique in our sensitivities especially with food. I didn't think I could ever give up gluten, let alone ALL grains, but I have. I gave up dairy products a long time ago and I don't miss them. The last one to go was sour cream, but having to give up grains I realized the only reason I was eating sour cream was as a dip! :) hahaha I have found if something is making you miserable, you just live with the sacrifices and it's worth it. Anything you CAN eat, be sure to rotate it so you don't develop a sensitivity.

      Good luck! Keep us posted.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the words of encouragement. I am going to try turkey today as my body just doesn't like beef, chicken, and fish. I am trying to get in to see a nutritionist, but she is booked until April and hasn't returned my call yet. I think I need someone to help me to make sure I am getting the nutrients my body needs to survive since I am having such a hard time finding food that doesn't make me ill or react. If only I didn't have to eat, I would feel great!

      Delete
    3. I just responded to your other post but I'll repeat here - we've been brainwashed into thinking we need lots of meat for nutrients. There are lots of proteins in fresh fruits and veggies along with all other nutrients. Don't worry too much and follow what your body wants. Also, you might be reacting to the chemicals in these meats instead of the actual meat, so try organic. I can't eat cheap beef without all kinds of misery - it has to be organic, grass-fed, no garbage. EXPENSIVE at around $7 pound, but worth it. I think I read on the low salicylate diet most meats are out and most grains are allowed so you're body is just calling to be a vegetarian!? :)

      Delete
    4. I know - I think I might have to be a vegetarian to feel good. I have an appointment with a nutritionist in a couple of weeks. She said she might be able to help me with what to eat. I have tried organic, etc. meats and seem to react the same way unfortunately. I tried the Paleo diet the beginning of January. That is how I came across the salicylate sensitivity problem. What I thought was eating healthy, was actually making me sick. I will stick to eating mild and rotating what I eat until I see the nutritionist. I think I will also quit eating meat and see what happens. My husband is on the Atkins diet, so this should be interesting. :)

      Delete
    5. I wish I could be a vegetarian! I had to go the other way and it's been an adjustment to eat meat regularly. An Atkins eater and a vegetarian! HAHAHA That sounds like a romantic comedy. :)

      Have you checked that book Eat Right 4 Your Blood Type? That might have some answers. I saw some salicylate-free diets online, too. Keep a food journal, too, and that might help the nutritionist see patterns. And be careful with the nutritionist - they can have that AMA mentality that is stuck in the gutter just like any AMA doctor.

      Keep us posted!

      Delete