Saturday, February 4, 2012

Survival by Reinvention: It's a Wonderful Life

Fifteen years ago I was diagnosed with MCS and told my only hope would be to limit my exposure to everyday chemicals and toxins. Like most newly-diagnosed chemically sensitive people, I thought this would be  impossible. My world as I had known it was at an end. My life was people-centered and chemically-saturated: friendship groups, restaurants, theater, cycling clubs, dinner parties, hiking, festivals and fairs, concerts, arts and crafts, and city living with jobs in teaching, event coordinating and customer service. How could anyone ever expect me to give it all up? Why would I want to? I was in denial. Determined to fight, I remained in my toxic world for far too long getting sicker and sicker with each compounded exposure. I resisted change and questioned daily if this horrible existence was my only future.

Eventually I realized I needed to reinvent myself if I wanted to survive, be able to work, be independent, and stop feeling so sick I wanted to die. I'm still fighting, but with a different attitude. I'm still learning, but with a more opened mind. I am still health-challenged, but I am surviving.

I'm writing this blog to share what I've learned and hopefully, the blog will find others who will share their ideas and insights so we may all continue to grow and survive in the new lifestyles we have been forced to create. For those of you who are chemically sensitive are probably wondering what is up with the title: "It's a Wonderful Life" and you are already convinced I am crazy or that I obviously have no idea what I am talking about. Wonderful? You've got to be kidding. Although I can still be as cynical and negative as any MCSer, I am choosing to see the positive, view everyday as a new and wonderful challenge. I am proud to be a survivor.

Welcome to my blog!

2 comments:

  1. Well done! Welcome to the world of blogging! And bravo for your positive attitude! Keep on fighting. You have my support!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray! My first member and my first comment! Thank you, Evelyn, for all your inspiration. I noticed your yummy new recipe on your blog:

      www.therighttobealive.blogspot.com

      Makes me very hungry! :)

      Delete