Sunday, February 19, 2012

Snowdrops!

Snowdrops!
I love it when the snowdrops come up signaling that spring is finally on its way after a long, cold winter.

If you look closely you can see the tulips peeking up out of the dirt, too. I dug up my moon garden last fall with about a thousand tiny snowdrop bulbs and replanted them around the edge of the circular garden. No easy task! Then I dug up some red tulips and placed them next to the row on the inside of the circle. Then I added about eight loads of rabbit manure to the center. AND THEN planted crimson clover as a cover crop to add nitrogen and to keep the rabbit poop from washing away in the rain. I might have over nitrogen-ed it, but I guess we'll see what happens. My rabbit and the birds have been eating the clover, but if it does last until it blooms it should be bright red. Beautiful!

When spring finally arrives, instead of a moon garden which had all white plants and night-blooming flowers, it is going to be a sun garden with sunflowers and veggies. Hooray!

2 comments:

  1. YAY!!!! :) More pictures on the lovely garden. And on the rabbit too!!! :))))

    ReplyDelete