Monday, February 27, 2012

Alternative Beauty Products

If housecleaning isn't enough to overload women, then add an overabundance of beauty products. That should do the trick! What I don't understand is why are women expected to use cosmetics and men aren't? The male of every other species is the one that has the fancy plumage or attention-getting dances for mating. And with the feminist movement of the 1970s, why do women STILL feel the need to go to outlandish effort to attract a man? It should be the other way around. My neighbor's husband used to make her wash her hands with bleach. Hmmmm...she's had cancer three times.


Mary's goat
Soap Mary's Milk Monsters soap is my favorite. It does have sodium hydroxide (lye/caustic soda) which is the basic ingredient of old-fashioned soap, but little else in the way of poison. It is rare that I can find an unscented soap that doesn't give me grief. It is sold by Mary who is the cutest little goat wrangler I've ever seen in my life. She looks like a fairytale character. Mary and her mother sell goat milk products at a local farmers' market. You can even get a soap that is vegan without the goat milk, but Mary claims the goat milk makes your skin smooth. She's so adorable. See her blog to the right on my blog list.


Shampoo  Planet Dishwashing Liquid, the all-purpose miracle soap! Another option is aluminum-free baking soda. Put about 1/2 cup of baking soda in a small bowl with just enough water to make a paste. Wet your hair, apply soda paste, scrub through, rinse. I do an extra rinse with vinegar water. When I first read about this on a minimalist blog I didn't think it would work very well, but this is what was used for centuries before fancy products replaced it. Your hair comes out squeaky clean.

I wash my hair about once every three weeks. I'm sure to some that is unimaginable! When I was in high school I read an article in Glamour magazine about a girl who quit washing her hair because she was having skin issues. She said it made her crazy for a week and then all was fine. Since she wasn't stripping it every day with harsh chemicals, it grew full and healthy. It was as if her body balanced itself and all the oily greasiness went away along with her skin problems! That left a huge impression on me for the rest of my life although it took becoming chemically sensitive to stop washing my hair so much.


Me (London, 1979)
Hair conditioner  Organic coconut oil. Just a tiny bit. When it's not on my hair or skin, it's in the frying pan.

Beauty Parlor and Hair Styling I cut my own hair in my bathroom. It's short so I don't even have to use a blow dryer anymore. No poofing or lacquering short hair either. I've heard if you want to sculpt your hair, use whipped up egg whites. That's what British punk rockers used to get their long hair to stand straight up. Homemade mousse.


Make-Up  Zilch.  On occasion I use Nanak's Lip Smoothee for chap stick. Does that count as make-up? I don't think so. Nanak's has Vitamin E in it. I recently read Vitamin E is made with gluten and if you are on a gluten-free diet (which I am) you shouldn't even wear make-up with gluten. Nearly all cosmetics and lotions have Vitamin E as an ingredient. We are a vitamin-crazed society and manufacturer's think if they put that on the label, people associate it with health. Another marketing ploy by the money-makers.


Moisturizer/Lotion/Suntan Lotion  Coconut oil. Makes me feel like I'm on a Hawaiian beach. I don't use moisturizers often since I don't wear cosmetics so I don't use harsh soaps to scrub off the first layer of skin to get the chemicals off.


Aloha!
Deodorant  Vinegar for smell, baking soda for wetness. I've tried some non-toxic deodorants and none of them work as well as vinegar and baking soda.


Bath water conditioning  Sometimes I put vinegar in my bath. The acid is good for your skin. Sometimes I put Epsom salts in my bath. Both are good for muscle pains. (Note: After years of vinegar baths I'm noticing my bathtub finish is wearing thin. From the vinegar? Maybe....this is a warning.)


Toothpaste  I use a toothbrush and water, and I floss every day. Once a week or so I brush with baking soda for a scrub. Toothpaste is loaded with chemicals: fluoride, whiteners, dyes, flavorings, preservatives,  and SUGAR! It used to be camouflaged as sucrose in hopes stupid consumers wouldn't recognize it. How many people look at ingredients labels on a tube of toothpaste?  I'm constantly baffled by the lack of common sense. Or was this a ploy by the American Dental Association to guarantee returning patients? Lately manufacturers have been replacing sugar with sorbitol and saccharin. Are those any safer in my mouth? No.




My old dentist used to always ask if I drank coffee or tea. I didn't. When I stopped using toothpaste, the plaque build-up decreased.  Now I only go to the dentist about once every five years because it's hard to find one that doesn't stink and I like to avoid being radiated so often.  They love to radiate! $$ I also refuse tooth polish with flavored chemicals. Like the AMA, dentists can get really testy if you aren't spending money like a normal American.

Some people use soap. Another use for Planet Ultra Dishwashing Liquid, the miracle soap? Eeewww! That's where I draw the line. The childhood threat of getting your mouth washed out with soap still haunts me.

If you haven't seen The Story of Cosmetics, check it out: http://storyofcosmetics.org Very cute and informative.

And that's a savings of... Getting rid of cosmetics, make-up removers, make-up tools, shampoos, conditioners, hair gel, hair mousse, hair dyes, hair bleaches, hair appliances, hair accessories, toothpaste, mouthwash, deodorant, Ivory soap, bath oil beads, bubble bath, lotions, fingernail polish, and fingernail polish remover and I can afford to buy quality, organic food!


5 comments:

  1. I like your metal-grunge-punk look! I can imagine the gangsta-sista attitude! HAHA!!!!!!

    Wash hands with bleach?! Why? Does she sit in manure and dip her hands in it the whole day? Bleach is so caustic. And the smell will kill me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHAHA Well, the bleach is gonna kill her, too, since she's had cancer three times and she's in her thirties. I guess her man likes nice, clean hands. What women will do for men! Makes no sense to me. There is no law against stupidity....

      Do you like my tattoo? "I love bunnies" - that's a premonition of my future self. hahaha

      Delete
    2. You already like bunnies!!!

      It's sad for your neighbour. If it was baking soda, it would be ok. Bleach, definitely not!

      Delete
  2. Hi - I know you posted this a long time ago, but I just came across it. Can you please tell me how you go about using vinegar and baking soda for deodorant?? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always happy to help. I have two little glass jars, one with soda and one with vinegar sitting on my bathroom counter. I pour a little bit of vinegar in the palm of my hand, maybe a teaspoon, rub my hands together carefully not to spill much (do it over the sink) but to keep as much as possible in my palm or on my finger tips, then using my hands put it in my arm pits. I rinse my hands off and rinse out the sink (vinegar can eat porcelain so it's not good to leave it on the surface). I dry my hands. Then I pour a little baking soda into the palm of my hand, using the tips of my fingers on the other hand apply it to pit, use remainder of soda in palm and put in other arm pit. The soda will react with the vinegar already there which I like because that tells me I put enough of each on. I usually go through this before I get dressed because the white of the soda will show on clothes or if you let it fall off your fingers while applying it'll get on your clothes leaving white dust or if while you put your clothes on if you rub the soda it will show white lines on your clothes if you are wearing dark clothes. Carefully put clothes on after application to avoid this. Good to go. It works for me all day. The vinegar will smell for a short time (I have asked people if I smell like a salad. ha!) Hope this helps.

      Delete