Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Fasting

I'm feeling great these days. Better than I have for a long time. I am wondering since my DNA mutations indicate drug metabolism issues if all that thyroid drug is being horded in my liver. I am still experiencing inflammation which presents itself as an intense burning itch just under my skin. It got really bad when I was on the drugs even brought back the vaginal fires of hell for a day. Now it's mostly at night. So I thought, How can I detox my liver and get rid of the excess drug?

Granted, this is a risk. It could be all that drug stored in my liver is what is keeping my energy levels stable. I am feeling great! Do I want to compromise that?

I decided inflammation is never good. It can do all kinds of bad things to your body. I decided I would do the fast in Datis Kharrazian's book Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms? It's his advice to detox the liver every now and then for optimum thyroid function and if you are taking thyroid hormone medications, so they will work more efficiently. It's four days of drinking just fresh, organic lemon juice, water and Grade B maple syrup. It's the Master Cleanse without the cayenne.

I've done the Master Cleanse and it definitely cleanses. Although all directions say you must sip the drink all day long to avoid a blood sugar crash and avoid hunger, I am STILL hungry. One day of hunger is all I can handle.

Yesterday I lemonade-fasted for one day. Kharrazian says if you are hypoglycemic you will feel really poorly, but if you are insulin intolerant you will feel great as your digestive system is being given a rest from food. I felt fine, just hungry. My back also itched all day. In the evening I ate a simple green salad with carrots, onions, peppers, zucchini, lettuce and orange juice. I also ate some sardines since they are incredibly high in selenium and calcium and I was hoping the protein would counteract any blood sugar issues. I slept fine.

Today the inflammation doesn't seem to be as bad as it was and my back still itches, but I woke up with really low blood sugar, very tired, like I hadn't eaten for a whole day, or in this case eight hours. I also felt slightly nauseous until I drank some water. This is a common symptom of adrenal fatigue, but I realize it was probably my body just needing sustenance. I ate protein for breakfast.

Not sure if it did as much good as I would have liked. Maybe if I wanted to subject myself to lemonade for four straight days it might have, but I hate being hungry.

NOTE TO SELF: NO MORE FASTING! Yeah, it's good to give your liver a vacation, but the problem is my liver never wants to go back to work! Now after every meal I feel really sick and get a headache. It doesn't matter what I eat. I'm also waking up in the morning feeling sick. Not good. And it didn't really do anything about the inflammation. I read recently someone said serious detoxification should not be done by those who are autoimmune as it creates problems. Hmmm...OK.

4 comments:

  1. FOUR days of no food???!!! WOuld you not just black out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL NO, humans can go without food they just can't go without water or air. Socrates used to require his students to fast for 60 days for brain clarity. There are lots of people who promote fasting to correct your health. One guy I know ran a fasting clinic and he said within a week most people no longer have to use blood pressure meds. It cleans all the garbage out of your system and regulates everything. He claimed finding cancer in the early stages fasting would eradicate it. He had fibromyalgia and cured it. Fasting has been used for centuries. When animals get sick they stop eating.

      I am however, drinking lemonade so it's not a "true" fast with absolutely no food. The lemonade alkalizes, which you know, and cleans your system, but the organic maple syrup adds vitamins and minerals for nutrients so you don't even get hungry...well that's the premise but I ALWAYS get hungry!

      Delete
    2. I am on a SUGAR and GLUTEN fast! Does that count?!!! LOL!!!!

      Delete
    3. LOL! Yes it counts for you! I know it must feel like fasting!!! Hang in there!

      Delete