Monday, November 10, 2014

More Block Paintings

I can't believe I forgot I did more block paintings!

The Howler is sitting on a shelf in my bathroom so I'm used to seeing it everyday which makes it easy to ignore.


After being awake most of the night listening to my neighbor's cats howl at the moon (or each other), I decided I needed to purge my hatred of obnoxious felines with art. It was the first block painting after the Bunnysatva of Binkies so I tried to keep the same minimalist style for another animal. Low VOC paints are not easy to paint with so the design always needs to be simple and flat like a cartoon.

I like the colors. I tried to stay away from black, but I needed night colors. Purple, light blue, white and yellow matches my bathroom.



Yellow is not always an easy color to incorporate into a design, but I really like the side patterns on this one:

 
 
Magic was my first inspiration for the beads, bells, and crystals. I wanted to do a sweet cartoon fairy with stars, dots and colors to match my bedroom.
 
 
 
Even though I think the bead and crystal combinations are better balanced compared to the others, I think she's a little weird. LOL. Using low VOC paints for faces is difficult. They are not good for mixing and modeling and this face was so tiny it was hard to get features that showed well, but fit on the tiny head. I guess her weirdness is fine because she makes me laugh, but I almost threw this block away. Currently she's hanging in the stairwell so I don't have to look at her too much and that makes it easy to forget she exists.
 
Here's the sides:
 
 
Oh well. Not every work is successful...art is an ongoing experiment.



1 comment: