Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Green Tea


I'm constantly researching for solutions to my health issues as improving my health is a requirement if I want to live a joyful life full of energy. The inflammation that resurfaced while taking thyroid medications hasn't gone away. I recently read green tea can be an anti-inflammatory for anyone who is TH-1 dominant. Due to my sensitivity to caffeine I have always been leery of green tea. Yeah, I have experienced the anti-inflammatory benefits of chocolate, but it's never worth the risk of all the other side effects: nausea, mood swings, headaches, insomnia, cognitive impairment as if I've been drugged, violent shaking of every nerve in my body, and general malaise that lasts for days after consumption.

I recently read a post by a woman who said she had an "allergy" to caffeine. I'm not sure it's an actual immunoglobin response allergy rather than an intolerance or sensitivity, but I was intrigued. So I went searching and found an article called, "How Much Mental Illness is an Allergy to Caffeine?" Fascinating. I guess I'm not the only one who experiences violent reactions to this evil. You can read it HERE.

Many say green tea, although caffeinated, is different from coffee or black tea. It's hard to ignore the list of benefits:

Weight loss. Oh! Excellent! Lack of thyroid hormone slows one's metabolism resulting in weight gain. This is a constant complaint I hear from anyone who has Hashimoto's or hypothyroidism in general. Some of the thyroid medications even contribute to weight gain. Losing weight is difficult if not impossible for many. Green tea speeds up metabolism, mobilizing fatty acids creating fat loss and feelings of energy. Hooray!

Cell damage prevention. Green tea has the antioxidant catechin which reduces free radicals in the body. This helps prevent cell damage.

Cardiovascular disease prevention. Green tea improves circulation and lowers cholesterol lowering one's risk to heart-related diseases.

Blood sugar stabilization. Green tea stabilizes blood sugar which lowers one's risk of diabetes. It also helps with insulin resistance a common issue with Hashimoto's.

Cancer prevention. Green tea destroys cancer cells lowering one's risk for cancer.

Brain function. Green tea energizes the brain which improves cognitive function. This lowers one's risk of neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.

Anxiety relief. Green tea has a calming effect due to the amino acid L-theanine. Since discovering I have a gene mutation that makes me prone to worry and anxiety, I've been on the look out for something that might help. I'm tired of being a worry wart.

Energy. Green tea has caffeine so it is advised not to drink it before bedtime, however, because of the theanine it has a synergetic effect which eliminates the "wired" feeling normally associated with caffeine. This balance between energy and calm makes it tolerable for many who are sensitive to caffeine.

Adrenal fatigue. Although it is suggested not to drink or eat caffeine if one has adrenal health issues, this is the exception. Green tea is considered a nutritional support for adrenals.

Death. Green tea reduces one's risk of death. Yep, that's what I read! Considering the benefits listed above, it certainly sounds like a miracle cure for any number of life-threatening conditions. Realistically, we are all going to die, but a product claiming to promote good health and extend life? Sounds good to me.

 
Let the games begin! I decided nothing ventured, nothing gained. Practicing my resolution to be brave. Slowly. I was worried (I can't help it! It's in my DNA!), but at the same time cautiously optimistic. Or irrationally hopeful. Unrealistically desperate. I bought one tea bag. Someone warned I might not like the taste as it has a strong "plant" taste...like dirt or composted weeds. I was prepared for the worst, but found it to taste like real, black tea. I haven't had black tea in years so it felt like a naughty treat! I started with four sips. Within minutes I felt energetic and found myself talking non-stop to a friend as if I were wired. BUT it wasn't a wired feeling and I didn't start shaking uncontrollably. I felt awake probably for the first time in a long time. No headaches or nausea, and I didn't experience any unusual insomnia that night.

I tried it again the next day, only four sips. I worried about the slight headache I had an hour later, but my irrational hopefulness made me believe it was because I waited too long to eat lunch. An hour after I ate, I drank some more tea, and another headache ensued. This one tormented me the rest of the day and all night causing nausea and general discomfort. Oops.

I usually experience a secondary, delayed reaction to caffeine so it wasn't too surprising when I awoke the second day with another headache and spinal pain. I've heard there is a decaffeinated green tea, but I'm so sensitive any amount of caffeine residue would give me grief.

Green tea is not for me. Oh well!

3 comments:

  1. Green tea is evil (for me). It tastes thin and bitter. It gives me jitters right away without any feeling of warmth or coziness first. Doesn't even give me a high. Just jitters and an upset stomach. With decaf, there's still 10mg of caffeine in the cup plus the decaffing solvent as well. Sorry - many people like green tea and say it makes them feel better. Just not my experience I guess. I view it like chocolate (which at least tastes amazing) - most people rave about it and its beneficial effects - for me, not any. I'm sorry you're denied something else that might have felt good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been sick all day, besides the headache. I didn't get jitters, but I didn't drink a lot. I probably would have if I did. I sure wish it would have worked!!!

      Delete
    2. Eeeewww...solvent. That's truly gross. What was I thinking?

      Delete