Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Yatna the Jogger

I haven't been able to jog for years since the designs of most running shoes (or any shoe) cut into the nerves on the top of my feet crippling me with pain. Heck, for too many years simple walking was limited and long distance walking was out of the question. For the last ten years I have been using a pair of high quality, incredibly stiff-soled, heavy leather Italian hiking boots for walking. They worked although lugging around a pound of extra weight on each foot did not make me fleet of foot. It was definitely a workout. Unfortunately, those trusty hiking boots are wearing out. Best shoes I've ever owned.

 
New Balance FINALLY redesigned their running shoes and removed the seams on the toe tops! Hooray! It took me about a month to get used to them since my feet were not accustomed to bending while walking after years of stiff-soled shoes. Now when I go for a walk I feel like I'm flying!
 
What about jogging? If I'm speed-walking to the point of flying, maybe I can jog? I started jogging in high school before it was fashionable. Through college and career I jogged for stress relief. It's been a LONG time and my memories of pulled muscles, over-worked tendons, and blown knees did not give me confidence. Can I jog? Really?

This is where I summoned the spirit of the courageous Yatna, my brave menopausal alter ego who knows no bounds and has no fear.

YES! YOU CAN DO IT!

So this morning I decided to start slowly. I stretched for an extraordinary long time and then I jogged for about 10-20 feet every other block alternating with more stretching. My muscles would start screaming as I neared 20 feet. I worried about the obvious jarring of my joints running on hard concrete and I watched carefully where I was going so I wouldn't twist or sprain my ankle. I don't want to do that again. The memories are still painfully fresh. Everything went fine. I kept reassuring myself if those weight-loss contestants on The Biggest Loser can jog and be safe, so can I!
 
Hooray! This feels like I have a piece of my old life back!
 
Wish me luck!

When is the next marathon???

4 comments:

  1. I love your self-portrait here! Jogging can be great. Good shoes are so important everywhere! My knees tell me I can jog uphill in the forest! Can't get much lower impact on this planet. Running feels soon good when you're able. Any way you can find a dirt trail to run on? If not, asphalt is better than concrete which is worse than just about anything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've been wondering where I can go for some low-impact jogging. Maybe the beach. I don't know where there are any trails around here and I don't like being up in the woods alone. I'll work it out. I'm very excited.

      Delete