Saturday, August 4, 2018

Banking

I detest banks. I hate the expectation that I must give my money to a corporation that is in business to take as much of it as they possibly can for their personal gain. I hate the lack of control I feel with my money in an institution for others to use or for the government to snatch.

I've had the same bank for ten years and for ten years I have recognized it's the lesser of evils if one must use a bank. Initially when I opened the account the bank manager was chemically sensitive so her employees were cautious and considerate when using personal hygiene products. She was such a good bank manager and so very customer-service oriented, she ordered me a lifetime supply of free checks. Then the branch closed and the manager went to work for the government. LOL.

I've had nothing but problems ever since. Besides the stink issue, there is the lack of customer service. This particular bank company has a Facebook page someone created for haters of their bad service so their reputation is well-known! At least I felt as if I wasn't alone in my frustration. If you want anything done or have any kind of a problem with your account, you must call the customer service line. No longer do bankers or bank tellers know their customers. It's very impersonal which is why fraud is so rampant. Your only connection is with a recording.

Recently I deposited a check at the ATM without endorsing the back. My bad. They charged me $12.00 for this snafu. Really? Not only was this the first time I have ever in my life-long history of banking have I been charged a fee for anything, but I can't believe I've never not signed the back of a check. This is the first time it's ever been a problem. Where is this rule in the account documents? Where is this fee listed online? Does the bank not check the ATM deposits? How do I get information?

I called the customer service line and suffered being on hold for nearly a half an hour and that's after I was disconnected during the first call due to "unforeseen circumstances", and the second time because there were too many people on hold. The fourth time was a charm:

"Please enter or say your bank account number."

"55667788"

"Is that 57667788?"

"No!"

"Please enter or say your bank account number."

"FIVE. FIVE. SIX. SIX. SEVEN. SEVEN. EIGHT. EIGHT"

"Is that 57667788?

"NO!"

"You will not be allowed to speak to a customer service representative without giving us your account number. Please enter or say your bank account number."

UGH!!! They eventually disconnected me so I tried with another phone thinking maybe it was the phone. Same thing happened.

So I went bank shopping which is something I really hate to do. Exposing myself to the stink of tellers is not fun and downright dangerous. Most of them look at you like you are stupid or crazy.

However, I found another bank! It's less than ten minutes away with awesome personal service and lack of fees. I off-hand mentioned to the banker who was creating my account how the bank didn't smell as bad as most banks. I wanted to give them kudos and I never miss an opportunity to provide some public education on the badness of toxic stink.

"Oh, our bank manager is very sensitive to perfumes and scents so we avoid them."

OH! MY! GOD!

So...yes, there are banks with fragrance-free policies. They are rare, but with patience and perseverance you just may discover a jewel!

1 comment: