Saturday, August 4, 2018

Tiny Home Show 2018

Today I went to the Tiny Home Show, drove hours to get there, paid a $15.00 ticket price in hopes of seeing not only tiny houses, but various products sold for tiny houses. I was hoping for inspiration to jump-start any lingering motivation toward building or owning a tiny house.

First, there were only about fifteen vendor booths most selling products that had absolutely nothing to do with a tiny house, construction of a tiny house, the maintenance of a tiny house or the interior design of a tiny house. For instance, there was a booth selling a muscle massage contraption and another selling milk (yes, I said milk). I chalk this up to poor planning.

Third, the lines to walk into each incredibly expensive ($50K and up) tiny house were so outrageously long I spent way too much time standing around waiting. With the space of each house anywhere between 100 and 200 square feet it was a slow process allowing at the most 2-3 people per house at a time and we were dependent on the consideration of others. I kept wanting to scream, Quick Like a Bunny, People! I was compelled to take photos of people standing. Waiting. That was the main attraction after all.








And last but not least, usually large auditoriums or exhibition centers have great ventilation and HVAC systems that funnel stink up and out. The air in this building was thick and rancid. The whole exhibition hall stunk like a toxic waste dump. I guess tiny house fans love their personal hygiene poisons OR perhaps this convention center employed professional stink to air freshen the environment? With my lungs feeling like they wanted to explode and my head swimming it was all I could do to stay long enough to see three of the homes. I just wanted out of there...so I left.

The houses were nothing I haven't seen online. It was fun to see how space is used and how much room there actual is in one of these by actually standing in one. Some of them are huge. My favorite was the little green one, of course.

Such an incredibly waste of money and time. Definitely not a good entertainment option for the chemically sensitive.

No comments:

Post a Comment