Sunday, August 19, 2018

Yard Sale Monsoon

This weekend we must have had fourteen different yard and garage sales in our area! Many of them had nothing I wanted, but it's always fun to see a street I've never traveled or meet new people. There was only one sale that was toxic smelly. I have no idea if she had old bottles of perfume she was selling or she tried to spray mold or mildew stink away, but the whole area stunk to high heaven. I walked a few feet in and then out. And it was outside and it still stunk! All others were fine and safe. Most were moving sales with people moving into smaller places or elderly people selling their homes and moving in with family so the sales were large. I always enjoy the free boxes. LOL. Here's what I got:

Yard sticks, two (free) I'm always needing measuring devices in various places.

Little square scrubber brush (free) I used to have one of these and used it on my fingernails after gardening. I've wanted another for a long time.

Set of fancy curtain hangers (.25 cents for a pair) When I realized there was a whole set in a bag nearby, I asked her how much and she said, "Please take them all. I've had them for years and I just haul them from place to place." I was just thinking the other day I wanted better curtain hangers. Now I need to figure out how to get some rods.


Blanket/bedspread, king-size white, 100% cotton (.25 cents) LOVE IT! I washed it in copious amounts of bleach and detergent, washed it again in vinegar, washed it again with plain water. It had no smell before I washed it, but I'm sure if there were any germs on it, they are all gone. I love the feel of 100% cotton blankets. After I dried it (for more sterilization), I laid it on top of my bed to cool.


Side table (free) I'm trying to stay away from furniture, but I couldn't help myself. This one is old style and in fairly good shape, all wood, very sturdy. Not my style of furniture, but it was free.


Painting reproduction with frame about 36 " x 24" (free) I'm thinking I can paint over it. Nice frame.


The image matches the blue color of my house...maybe I should hang it on my house? There is a house a couple blocks away that has bad paintings hanging all over the outside. I like it. It's funny.

Spool bed posts, carved ($1.00 for both although I think I overpaid.) They were so weird and interesting I figured I could paint them and put them in my garden for fancy hose guides. Maybe I'll paint them to look like African staffs. I've already started sanding.


Bandanas, three (.10 cents each)

White distilled vinegar, two gallons, not opened (.50 each) EXCELLENT BUY! I've already used it to clean off everything and de-rust the paint scrapper!

Staples, one box nearly full (.10 cents) Excellent timing. I'm almost out of staples.




Scrubber brush (free) Useful

Clamp (.10) Useful

Paint scrapper (free) Useful

Screw driver (.10 cents) Useful

Philips screw driver (.10 cents) Useful

Three-ring notebook (.25 cents) Useful

Totally practical purchases with little impulse buying and some impulse freebie gathering. I probably didn't need the side table or painting.

I have become a bit of a pack rat...I blame it on hormones.


2 comments: