Tuesday, August 21, 2018

The LAST of the Summer Projects, or Self-Reliance Overtime.

And the award for most summer accomplishments goes to...

Air vent in roof
Closet walls lined
Fence gate post replaced
Two loads of bark for garden
Rodent control and pinwheel construction
Bleach and scrub garage
Side of house painted
Whole garden weeding

Oddly enough, as I read that meager list it really doesn't look like much especially if one doesn't take into account the energy and strength one must have for some of the construction projects. And toxicity. Let's not forget toxicity. Still, I'm patting myself on the back because I can't believe I didn't collapse after the first couple endeavors.

Of course, I've been adding projects, too. I painted the dormer roof walls. I had planned to save those for next year, but they looked so small I thought Why not?


It was absolutely NO FUN to precariously balance myself on that tiny roof ledge and pray I wouldn't topple over with a serious case of vertigo. A couple times I almost did.


Or lay along the roof and try to reach up into the corner! For such a small area, it sure was filled with challenge, BUT it's done! The only thing left to paint on the house are those fascia board trim (see above photo...looks like crap) but those will wait until next year along with the garage.

My next and last project which is another one I added to the list was to re-aluminum seal the dormer roof. I was going to wait until next year but when I started dancing on the upper roofs to paint the dormer walls, I noticed the flat roofs have tiny, hairline cracks. I don't want to wait.

This was HELL. Literally. Burning fires of hell. I washed the roof, but when the hazy ash blew in from local forest fires, I was afraid after a week the roof was too dirty again and the aluminum would peel. So I washed it again. Then the nights started getting cold and it didn't seem like it was dry enough. Finally, yesterday afternoon the roofs were dry and clean all at the same time so like a fool in 90 degree heat in the middle of the afternoon I jumped in (or rather, UP) and went to work.



Half way through the top, larger roof I was honestly afraid I would suffer heat exhaustion! I kept taking breaks and splashing water on my skin and drinking cold water. I couldn't remember what kind of roller I used in the past and the ignorant hardware sales boy sold me a thick one...WRONG...it splattered aluminum silver all over. I was covered in smelly, petro-based aluminum. I ended up having to throw away the pants, the shoes, and the socks I was wearing. All that dripping and splattering ended up being tracked on my floors. What a mess!


And I don't think I should have done it in such hot heat. The directions say don't apply it in temperatures exceeding 110 degrees...OK...I noticed when I'd roll it, it seemed to dry too fast and harden making thin, even rolling impossible. Still, it's done. I hope it's good enough and it doesn't start peeling. It's not there to look good, just protect the roof.

Paint dormer sides
Re-seal aluminum coating on roof
Scrub kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, pantry tile floors

FINISHED!! That's it! Everything else I want to do should be much more fun!

HOORAY!!

2 comments: