Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Constant Self-Reliance

You might be wondering why does she keep writing posts about mundane home improvement projects? I'll tell you why:

1.) This is summer entertainment. Yeah, I think most chemically sensitive people might find something better to do, but for lack of fragrance-free opportunities and fragrance-free friends, this is it for me!

2.) I love being productive and saving money at the same time.

3.) The older I get the less I'll be able to do these kinds of things. I want a record so some day I can look back and say, Jeez, I was so energetic...young...self-reliant!

It was my number one goal this summer to paint the LAST outside wall of my house. Last summer I actually did three walls and my whole body was in excruciating pain for at least four months.

Before I start painting I never really notice how badly it needs to be done. Once I start and can compare the before and after sides, it's really obvious! Of course, the white primer spots make it look twice as bad!

NEW.........................OLD

This side doesn't get the hot sun for most of the day so I was hoping it would be easier in terms of preparation. No such luck. The previous paint job was sprayed and the painters sprayed right over spider nests, left glitches all over the trim, didn't take the time to control drips, and some of the paint is so thin the old color shows through. I kept seeing specks of beige wondering if something was growing on the paint, but it's just the old color not quite covered. This is why I have little desire to hire professionals who are rarely professional here. No one has integrity. They want the most money for the least amount of work.


It was also difficult because of this overhang blocking access. It was really, really scary to perch up on that tiny three foot roof while I painted which is why I put off this summer job for so long! And of course, when I did have this roof done ten years ago I didn't bother to get up there and check the job...such crappy work they did on the flashing leaving nails exposed! I'm not sure if I would have even known it was poorly done back then. I've learn so much over the years usually the hard way.




It was also difficult because of the garden below which is wider than the other gardens so getting stable footing for the ladder was a challenge. The camellia bush blocked a section so I cut it back a lot. I was really tempted to cut the whole thing down a few times just to get it out of the way. The garden is pretty trashed from walking through it. Oh well! It'll come back.



And then there is the sweating. Now that I'm guzzling water all day long, I sweat like a pig. I don't remember sweating profusely last year with water literally dripping off my body, in my eyes, making my mask wet, rolling down my arms and legs, and making my protective glasses fog. Blah. It just adds to the discomfort.

Hooray for the biggest project checked off my summer list!

I still have the dormers, some of the trim, and the garage to paint. These things may have to wait until next year.

I'm exhausted. But so proud! And self-reliant!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! You should have started a consulting business regarding home improvement. You would make lots of money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I was finishing the paint job I was actually thinking I should start my own construction firm and hire people to do the work for me, but demand quality. Wouldn't that be a novel idea? LOL. Honestly, though, I really don't know enough. I'm constantly in the hardware store asking for advice to make sure I'm doing stuff right.

      Delete
    2. Your place is proof that you're doing things right!

      Delete