Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Ocean Adventures Part 3: I've Got Crabs!

This is my third ocean adventure of the year and I am happy to announce I am now caught up - three visits in three months. I am well on my way to completing my New Year's Resolution of ocean adventures!




I headed to a little fishing town on the coast and as you can see it's practically deserted this time of year. During the summer this town has a different festival every weekend, jam packed with tourists, but for today, it's dead. Just the way I like it - people-free and therefore, scent-free!




At the edge of town is a rock wall that holds the crashing waves back. It's quite spectacular to watch the waves crash against it. I stood on top of the rocks to get these pictures.




Every time a wave rolled in my head would spin so I had to be careful not to lose my balance. I avoided getting too close to the water for fear a wave would suck me into the surf.




I felt fortunate the sun was shining as the weather has been so bad lately. It was still cold, but the fresh air was invigorating and the water beautiful.




After watching the waves, I walked around the harbor looking at the piers and boats.




In the far distance through the boats I could see a pier that looked like it would have great views of the ocean, but I had to figure out how to get over there. Time to explore.



I had to meander around the harbor, down to the water, along the dock with boats, over this bridge to get to the distant docks.





There I discovered nice, friendly people using fishing poles to catch crabs. I've always seen those crab traps, but I had no idea you could use fishing poles. Can you see the raw chicken leg in the center of the trap? That's what they use for bait.




They also showed me how to tell the girl crabs from the boy crabs. This one is a girl. It's illegal to keep the girls so they are thrown back. Boy crabs are measured to make sure they are big enough. Little ones are thrown back. I liked it when they threw them back. I'm not so good at killing things.




It was a great adventure on a beautiful day!





5 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures! How I miss the sea...

    I took a double look when I saw the title of this post! HAHAHAHAHA!!!

    Did the fresh sea air do you good?

    By the way, were the guys who were fishing 'un-smelly' people? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you like the subtitle? I was in the process of writing a post on sex and thought I'd post it before the ocean one, but then I change the order.

      Fresh air is magnificent and walking around, too.

      One of the guys smoked so I was downwind from him when he lit up. The others were fine. It was actually three guys and a wife and they were brothers and neighbors. Very nice people.

      I have found most outdoor-sy people are fragrance-free, but only if they are smart. Hunters are cautious about scent as it scares animals away and hikers normally don't wear stink because it attracts bees, BUT I have also encountered stupid outdoorsy people who don't know these basic rules.

      Delete
    2. I forgot to say - I find outdoorsy people use bug spray which is just as toxic!

      Delete
    3. I did not know that bees are attracted to scent! I know animals can smell hunters from what I read. But there are cilantro sprays which are derived naturally and planted organically. That repels mosquitoes! Is that the bug spray you are talking about?

      Delete
    4. No, I'm talking about the bug spray with DEET and other poisonous chemicals designed to kill things. They reek so badly it's hard for me to go hiking as I'm always passing people sprayed down as if their lives depend on it.

      Delete