Thursday, March 1, 2012

Essential Oils

The medicinal properties of herbs have been used for centuries. The subtle, natural scents of herbs and their flowers are also known to benefit one's health.  However, distilling a perfectly lovely scent so it's five million times its naturalness is anything but natural. Like vitamin addictions, ignorant people have assumed if something is good for you, then more is better, and even more than that must be outstanding! We are a society of addicts eager to overindulge in the next best miracle cure. In fact, more will contribute to an excessive overload of foreign substances causing your body to work harder in its detoxification processes. More is NOT better! People are once again guilty of exploiting and abusing nature.



In my former life, I, too, was guilty of buying into the silliness of aromatherapy.  I used to bath in clary sage and peppermint oil, put lavender on light bulbs for air fresheners, and make candles with rosemary. I was convinced essential oils were natural so they must be good for you, and like perfume, I believed they made me beautiful and sensuous when really they just made me and everything around me stink.  I didn't start having sensitivity issues with essential oils until my body kicked into its hyper-immunity stage. In theory, my hypothalamus registers, "WARNING! WARNING!" anytime I smell anything unnatural.


Now breathing essential oils make me feel like I want to die. My lungs wheeze, my head pounds, my stomach feels like its eating itself, my skin itches so badly I want to rip it off, and my body wants to go to bed and sleep for a year. Patchouli, in particular, gives me such painful intestinal cramps I'm doubled over unable to breathe. Like perfume, maybe patchouli is made with toluene, too? I wouldn't doubt it. Who knows what gimmicks manufacturer's use to decrease production costs? Once the exploitation begins, companies do nearly anything to increase sales.


Years ago I had a friend who's daughter was diagnosed with chronic fatigue. She was a beautiful fifteen year old girl, unable to go to school because she couldn't get out of bed most days. She was deathly pale, skinny and walked like she was about to fall over and die. This was before I knew anything about chemical sensitivity or any of its co-morbid health conditions. I remember thinking, "Why doesn't she just take some vitamins or drink some coffee?" Funny how people who don't have a clue about sensitivities do not get it. I know this first hand.


Years later, after I was diagnosed with MCS, I called this friend to catch up.  I asked her about her daughter who by this time was an adult and out of the house. She was doing great, much better as a matter of fact, with only occasional, minor periods of fatigue. I shared my own health issues and forced reinvention. My friend exclaimed, "Oh, I don't know what I would do without my essential oils especially lavender!  I bath in it! I wash all our clothes and linens in it! If I don't smell it at least once a day, I get very depressed! It lifts my spirits!"


Does that sound like a drug addiction, or what? When I told her there was a good chance her essential oil fetish was the reason her daughter was disabled throughout her whole childhood, she got very quiet.  I asked, "When your daughter has these minor periods of fatigue now, are they right after she visits you?" Can you imagine being the cause of your daughter's disability?


People who don't understand about chemical sensitivity always assume MCSers can't be around flowers or food smells.  Not necessarily so. I don't have problems with any smell as long as it is real, natural, and organic.

You can read more about the dangers of essential oils HERE

13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I've heard other people with MCS say how horrible it is to be chemically sensitive and I always remind them it's all relative. There is always someone out there in a worse situation. For me, your sensitivities qualify! My only serious issues are chemicals. I can't imagine having to also worry about food smells that would kill me.

      I know you can't smell certain foods with salicylates, what about flowers? I've seen those in your garden and they look quite fragrant - do they bother you?

      Delete
    2. Nothing in my garden smells!! They are only colourful!

      Delete
  2. i am currently pretty sensitive and also to essential oils, but i am doing a regular cleansing of oral Bentonite clay with water and it seems to be helping. thanks for the article.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps you should try Organic Essential Oils. PLUS make sure that the company who makes the oils you use are reputable. There are companies out there that add synthetics to make the oil go further -- and some also that will add other oils just to make the essential oils go further but it is not as effective. I have MCS since 1988, plus Lyme Disease + Co-infections, which increases the sensitiviy of most of those with MCS . I am sorry for your bad experiance, however not all those with MCS react adversely to essential oils. I do not and they have so far been life savers. I have Neuro Lyme which does not cause brain fog -- but serious short term memory and cognitive problems etc Symptoms are much like Alzheimer s . However I know a few MCS people who have also has bad experiences with essential oils -- but they did not use organic essential oils plus be sure they only bought from good reputable companies. They had not realized this was necessary. But it very much is , especially these days since essential oils have been getting more popular, Try one of the milder oils like lavender, sweet Orange, rose Geranium, Frankincense and just try a bit.. you would be amazed at the many healing and helpful things these can be used for. Just be sure you get organic even in just lavender

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I mentioned in the post, there is absolutely nothing natural about essential oils. They are a processed product that is fake. If someone needs to smell lavender, buy a plant. But more importantly, if there are people out there in the world who react badly to them it's incredibly selfish and thoughtless for people to use them which only contaminates the air we share. Most don't care if they are organic or synthetic, it's just another addiction. Same with perfume, smoking, drugs. Just because someone loves their addiction, doesn't give them the right to destroy the health of others. I have no use for essential oils. I have a whole garden of herbs!

      Delete
  4. Multiplechemicalsurvivor Thank you.
    Your words really help.I too am a survivor.My childhood was blessed family wise but health Scattered with sore bones/migraines/generally feeling of being hungover/suddenly well again.Mum liked to decorate and clean and washing was always super clean.I also had a stint in hospital following a reaction to penicillin/aspirin I was 8 was in for 1year.No one knew what was wrong.Health never quite bounced back.
    Escalating symptoms after birth of daughter,lots of tests=nothing,lots of medicines/inhalers=worse,gradually peaking about 10years later
    Thought I was finished ,very frightening,crawling to get about,scared to sleep as I felt I was drifting into coma,brain slipping away from me.Went against the advice and
    stopped taking the recent course of antibiotics I was on and very gradually could see crack of light.
    Fought to find link.Was eating so many healthy foods trying to be a good healthier mum. Why did some of these foods give me the same debilitating feelings of X-ray contrast media/medicines?
    Found link online to Salicylate intolerance and the 'Failsafe 'elimination diet Free From Artificial Ingredients Low in Salicylates Amines and Flavour Enhancers
    Saved my life.I am on a rebirth journey at present.
    My diet is a work in progress but very basic but works ,low in natural food chemicals and gradually hope to reintroduce more variety.I rarely have mucus,throat clearing,migraines,sore bones unless I wander off course.
    My home has been defragranced and I avoid essential oils like the plague.
    Car exhaust,smokers,mint,air freshness,laundry fragrances,perfumes and aftershaves but the worse is essential oils especially those REEDS .
    While visiting someone I was standing beside some in hallway.,
    Felt woozy then on way home tongue and lips swoll a bit,have never had this before and thankfully settled but avoid now at all costs.
    My daughter inhaled some in a shop.She goes hyper then absolutely exhausted then takes days to recover ...just has to sleep off.
    Friends/family are beginning to understand a bit ,I think ,but still get doused in fabric condition smells which seem to linger forever especially if brought into your home and there's some friends houses I avoid because it is so fragranced I can hardly walk home after.
    I and my daughter are so well away from these things but there everywhere in town/toilets/homes/schools!!!




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have come a long way! Congratulations! Yes, you are a survivor! I have a blog friend who writes extensively on salicylates and I feature her on my blog list to the right "The Right to Be Alive". She has lots of recipes, etc.

      So glad to hear from you. We are not alone. Unfortunately it's a very challenging learning curve to figure out how to live with this. I hope you find lots of information in my blog and comment to me anytime.

      Delete
  5. I want to thank you for your website. I also have mcs and have chronic headaches every day. I also used a lot of perfumes and even sold them. I Saw my allergy doctor and was allergic to 73 out of 84 items in the scratch test. I have this friend of mine and she want me to try her essential oil saying that hers are so much better. I was in MLm years ago and I know the sales pitch. I also have leaky gut syndrome which many people with mcs have. Right now I only have a few foods my stomach can handle which is bone broth and a couple of medical food products drinks one being sustain for legs from metagenic. I told her I'm afraid of the oils now but she insists I have to try them. She said her husband was allergic to scents but he is able to use these products.I said only outside as I do not want a scent in my home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the blog is helpful and fun.

      Regarding your friend...WHY? What is the point of essential oils? Why does anyone NEED to try them or use them for any reason? Why would her husband even want to wear essential oils? Sounds like an addiction to me and one she wants to shove down your throat. I have to admit it irritates me to no end she's bullying you after you've told her no. You've read my post - essential oils are totally unnatural. Tell her go buy a lavender bush or something. My advice is to stay as far away from her and her poisons as possible. She's toxic and she doesn't even care if she kills you.

      Delete
    2. Have you done any serious detoxing like with saunas or water fasting cleanses? Headaches are horrid and all that toxicity from the perfumes are probably still in your body. Sounds like you might be overloaded. Good luck.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for your input. I agree about my friend. There is more. I used to fix airplanes in the air force and was exposed to even more chemicals. After that worked in a aircraft plant so even more chemicals. My last apartment had mold in it so had to move, it even made my friends sick that helped me move. I had a bad sugar addiction that cost me all my teeth and over 10 root canals which meant lot of antibiotics. I also have an issue with hoarding which does not help my health situation. I'm working with a professional organizer in letting go but it is not easy. I want to move next year to get into a carpet free home. I have thought of detox but right now I trying of dr axes bone broth program since it is something I can drink without causing stomach pain. I also have a great allergy doc who is one of the best in tx. He also works with people with legs. I'm doing his allergy shots once a week. The one thing that keeps me going is my beautiful cat that gives me lots of love everyday.
    Thank you for this site and any advice is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you have definitely been poisoned throughout the years! That's funny - many years ago I worked for an airline and I've had allergy type tests that show I'm allergic to jet fuel! It's amazing with all the poisonings we've experienced we are as competent as we are!!! That shows we are strong people!

      I would bet that hoarding addiction is your brain function from all the poisons. Have you done any detoxing? Every now and then I read on a site about people who have had good results re-training their brains. Have you looked into that? I don't know if a professional organizer can do anything for you (besides help you spend your money) until you get help with what is making you want to hoard. And I agree the hoarding would have a negative effect on your health especially affecting your air space.

      Good to have a good doctor and one you like - that's rare! I'm sending you an enormous about of positive energy to help you with your journey.

      Delete