Friday, April 12, 2013

Tiny Rental Houses


I'm still searching for a place to rent so Peter and I may safely seclude ourselves away while stinky people wander into my house with the possibility of purchase. I decided I can't put my home up for sale without moving out first. How do I sell a house with this restriction:
 
No smelly people entering my sanctuary.
 
 
 
Right there I've eliminated 80% of prospective buyers and nearly all real estate agents. I might not ever be able to sell!
 
So for the last six months I've been searching for a rental. Here are my requirements:
 
1.) Clean. I don't want to see any evidence of smelly pets, rats, insect infestation, mold or general dirt or garbage. It would be nice if it wasn't a crack house or meth lab, too.
 
2.) No carpet. Preferably tile, hardwood, or softwood floors. Linoleum maybe.
 
3.) Non-toxic heating and clean electricity. No oil or gas.
 
4.) Non-smoking.
 
5.) Not newly painted.
 
6.) Pets. No dogs on the property, but Peter must be allowed.
 
7.) Neighbors. Not close by and not trailer trash. Lots of land would be nice, but obviously difficult to find without added rental costs.
 
10.) Must have Internet service.
 
 This is a very tall order. The difficulties I'm finding are the contradictions. If I want clean, then I can't have a pet. If they allow a pet, more often than not the previous renter had a pet or smoked.  Or select only any six of the ten, but you don't get them all!

Another consideration is size. I want to try living in a tiny house. I'm not sure I can even do this, but better to find out now. Since I still have my house and all its expenses until its sold, less expensive rent would be nice. This fits perfectly as a smaller house is often less expensive to rent, naturally. One prospective landlord right away asked me, "How much furniture do you have?" He kept repeating how small it was, not convinced that's what I really wanted.

The last consideration is appliances. It would be nice to have a washer and dryer on the premises so I don't have to use a smelly laundromat, but if it's a tiny house, I doubt if there is enough room for these luxuries. In fact, the few tiny houses I am finding often don't have a stove/oven or full-sized refrigerator. Several tiny houses for rent didn't have toilets!

OK, OK, I can't be too picky and since this is a temporary rental, I'm flexible on appliances. Well, I do want a toilet. I'm surprised there are tiny houses out there and there are few that fit my budget. My definition of "tiny" is anything under 500 square feet. The ones that seem the nicest are very expensive. Also, finding a tiny house that doesn't have a crazy landlord is difficult, too, but I keep trudging onward.
 
I might have found one! A little cottage in the middle of an organic garden. Only 230 square feet. It doesn't have a washer, dryer, stove or oven, but it does have a refrigerator, toilet and a shower. When I asked if the property had dogs roaming free, the woman told me it was a dog-free property with only one rabbit. RABBIT? What? Did you say RABBIT? It seems she has an old rabbit, too.  I like rabbit people. Here is a photo of the cottage:
  
 
 
 
Tomorrow I have made an appointment to have a look. I'm worried the owners are serial killers. Crossing my fingers everything works out just fine.

6 comments:

  1. Good luck! I have issues with whatever people used in their washer dryer having permeated the whole house and unable to get the scent out......then there's the cleaners they've used etc. Have you noticed that? An organic farm sounds super promising!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes! Any detergent or fabric softener that stinks and I can't go near dry-cleaned stuff. My current neighbors all stink to high heaven from their clothes washing. When I asked if the surrounding garden was organic, her response was TOTALLY ORGANIC. That gives me hope. If these people are smart enough to have an organic garden, they might recognize the poisons in everyday stuff, too. So much could go wrong with my visit today. Crossing fingers.

      Delete
  2. What?! No TOILETS??!! Where on earth do they expect the people to do their business? Dig a hole and then cover it after they are done???? Hahaha!

    Btw, when I saw the picture above, it immediately brought to mind Hansel and Gretel! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHA! One place had a composting toilet. If it didn't have a carpet I would have been interested in trying that out. Another place had a tiny house on it, but they failed to add plumbing so they said renters would have to bring their own tiny house or an RV. Too bad they didn't add plumbing, but I am very excited to see people building these little houses and then putting them up for rent. Another little studio cottage was on the property of a big house and also had no shower/bath. I can't remember if it had a toilet. It was really fancy otherwise. I think it might have been used as an artist studio or something. It's been on the rental lists since last fall so lacking in basics is a real hindrance to getting a place rented.

      I would really love to live in a Hansel and Gretel house!!! My dream. Maybe I'll build one? Put some fancy gingerbread work on it and paint it pink. hehehe

      Delete
  3. It helps to have a clear idea about your ideal rental house. With all your set standards, you can either do the house searching yourself or have someone to do it for you. I hope you won't have a hard time finding the right place you're looking for. Good luck!

    -Von Madison

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been a hellish experience and I think my problem is my idea is too clear!! Thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete