Sunday, November 28, 2021

Being Thankful


Chemically sensitive people have a difficult time with holidays. These are traditions that demand family time and friendship connections never advantageous to anyone who can't be around the toxic bad habits of stupid humans. Around this time of year I read so many websites for MCSers and EMF sensitive people featuring comments and posts on how sad people are they can't participate or worse, how their family or friends criticize them for faking it or just being a general pain in their backsides.

I don't do holidays anymore. Even before I was chemically sensitive, holidays were contentious. Most of my family not only had toxic hygiene, but smoked incessantly forcing me to stand outside in the rain for most of the day. I'd have to suffer their smart ass questions about my latest diet or comments about weight gain and their jokes about why I was standing outside were insensitive and exhausting. Holidays were always filled with disappointment.


As a young adult I spent many holidays with friends. Sometimes this involved sharing their families. I always appreciated their hospitality, but I always felt like an outsider, an intruder. It was uncomfortable. I had one friend reprimand me for a homemade apple pie I brought as a contribution. Really? It wasn't her family's tradition. REALLY?

My favorite memories are the Friendsgivings when a group of single friends would get together for a potluck celebration. Those were often really fun and sometimes wild. When I became chemically sensitive the parties became difficult with people forgetting not to wear perfume or essential oils. Many times I'd have to leave before the meal was even served.


I've gotten used to my solitude. It's taken years to get to this point as initially all this isolation was soul sucking. Now I rather enjoy not being harassed for who I am by thoughtless relatives. I enjoy a day where I can do what I want without the stress and worry of who will poison me, who will insult me, who will disappoint me, or who will treat me like a second-class citizen. I don't have to worry what I should bring for a potluck dish or hostess gift and I won't feel slighted when my potluck dish stays and I have to leave.

I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment