Thursday, April 2, 2020

Coronavirus Chicken Vegetable Soup

This was my mainstay for coronavirus survival. The chicken broth is heavenly on the respiratory discomfort. Dark chicken meat is good for one's heart. Vegetables are high in nutrients. A bit of potato or rice for carbohydrates.



All organic, fresh ingredients for one large pot of soup:

4 T olive oil or butter
1/2 onion, chopped
2 stalks of celery, chopped
6 cups water
8 chicken legs
1 clove garlic, chopped
salt and pepper
2 cups broccoli, chopped
1 cup beans, cleaned and chopped
1/2 potato, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup red pepper

These are veggies I am compatible with as so many I am sensitive to. Add your own favorites.

Saute onion, celery and garlic in pan for a very short time. Add water, chicken legs and seasonings. On medium heat simmer/boil for about 1 hour or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken legs. Cool. Remove meat from bones, place back in pan. Add broccoli, beans, pepper and potato. Simmer for another 15-20 minutes. Add peas just to unthaw them as if you boil them they turn ugly and mushy. (I try not to cook the vegetables too long as they lose their nutrient value with too much heat and get mushy.) Remove from heat. Cool. Place in 16 ounce recycled yogurt containers. Freeze. Makes about a gallon or 4 frozen containers.

I made a giant pot for 9 containers and as needed it, thawed, added another container of chicken broth. Sometimes I would add cooked white rice for more carbohydrates. Unthaw and simmer for 15 minutes. I got about three bowls for each 16 ounce container.

I made a second batch and predicting I'd be really tired of it at two weeks froze the vegetables separate from the chicken, onion, celery, garlic, spices so I could use them in other recipes. Sans veggies it wasn't as tasty. The vegetables add a lot of flavor especially as they sit in the freezer together. Still healthy and good, but not as yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment