Saturday, April 30, 2022

Hiking

I walk all the time at least once if not twice a day. Sometimes I go to other towns and locations and walk with friends, but mostly I walk in my neighborhood or in my town alone. Walking is a low-intensity exercise good for Hashimoto's and chemical sensitivity. It doesn't incite an autoimmune attack and gets me out in the fresh air. The only time I don't walk is if it could be dangerous: ice, monsoon winds or air pollution caused by any number of sources. Where I live the streets and neighborhoods are fairly flat. I've gotten quite bored with it so I expanded my horizons and headed for the hills!

I live in logging country so my little town is surrounded by forest. For miles and miles one can see rolling hills of greenery. It's quite lovely and the air is amazingly clean.



Humans have left their mark on this primaeval wilderness so the wilds are etched with logging roads that go for miles. They start at the highway, usually blocked by a large metal security gate, and head straight up the hill.


There are two kinds of roads. The first is graveled, well-used by logging trucks, maintenance trucks, property owners, and radio tower operators and marked with numbers at intersections. The second road style is grassy with tire ruts with off-shoots of overgrown ex-roads covered with grass, shrubs and sometimes blocked with sapling trees. I think it would be easy to get lost as these roads spider-web for miles. I've made many trips over the years to walk, pick berries, gather boulders (for my garden), or just escape.


My first (recent) foray into the wilderness I hiked only a half a mile, stopping about ten times to catch my breath and rest my tired leg muscles. It's a steady incline so it takes some stamina. I am now  capable of walking straight up the hill for a mile or more without stopping. I still breathe hard and wonder if the exercise is too intense, but I know it's good for my COVID-scarred lungs, builds bones and strengthens muscles. I also read walking in woods is a dose of really good natural probiotics from all the decomposing material causing healthy microbacteria floating in the air.


I've always been a little hesitant to walk the logging roads. There are wild animals in the woods! Cougars, coyotes, and bears, especially during the spring when the bears have little bears and can get very protective of their cubs. However, I'm more afraid of logging trucks than wildlife. And men....I'm more afraid of men than any animal or truck!


One of the logging company maintenance men was at one of the gates one day as I arrived and we began talking about the roads. He warned me of a homeless man who was a bit hostile and perhaps mentally ill. The logging company holds a lottery every year so that 300 people can get passes that cost $325 for the year. This gives them keys for gate access and they are able to hunt, fish, train search and rescue dogs, forage for food, camp, or live in vans up in the wilderness. 

The week before I spoke with the maintenance guy I did hike past a man with a backpack coming down the hill on one of the little used grassy logging roads. I said, "Good morning." He replied, "Good morning, how are you?" I said, "I am wonderful. How are you? He said enthusiastically, "I am blessed by the Lord!" as he kept walking. Now I do think Christianity is a mental illness, but he seemed harmless enough. The maintenance man did admit he gave the homeless man a trespassing ticket for not having a pass...yeah, that might have made him hostile.

Still, as a precaution against mentally ill or bad behaving men, unmanaged dogs, angry mama bears, or hungry cougars, I take a stun gun with me. On occasion I hit the button by accident or even lean on it and it scares the beejeebies out of me. I've only used it once and that was on a loudly buzzing insect that circled me for about 100 feet and it worked just by pointing it. From what I understand it might pause a bear rather than scare it away so I have to aim for the snout or if the bear is gnawing on my arm or leg, hit her in the mouth. I am hoping it would annihilate a bad man or biting dog. I kind of look forward to trying it out!


Most of the roads are lined with thick forest so they offer little in the way of scenery, but if I climb high enough there are views of the valley and of the town where I live. I love all the green! It amazes me and although I've lived in this area of the country for most of my life, I don't take it for granted.


Nature is so amazingly beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment