Sunday, June 8, 2014

Corsets R Us

 
 
Today for a break from construction exhaustion I stopped at a garage sale. I didn't really plan to buy anything, but you never know when someone might be selling reclaimed wood, windows, doors or other possible construction supplies. It was more of a free sale than a garage sale as this woman was cleaning out a friend's storage unit and giving most of it away! I snagged about ten brand new gift bags which I'll add to my already huge collection. Since I so rarely give gifts to anyone, I'm not sure why I thought I needed them, but they were pretty. I also found a lovely woven, straw hat that would make a good sun protector or garden hat, a small rug that I might use in one of my newly remodeled closets, wooden beads, a book on the history of television, a large plastic bowl, and a beaded hippy necklace with a cross made out of blacksmith nails. I love free stuff. I figure if I decide I don't want it, I can try to sell it in my next garage sale or put it in my free box and give it away.

As I'm digging through the boxes hoping to find more treasures, I pulled out...a corset! A real corset. The sale organizer was nearby and I exclaimed, "WHAT the hell is this??" as I held it up for all to see. She laughed and said, "Oh, take that, it's free." I have no idea what possessed me to want used women's undergarments, but it's absolutely fascinating. It is a little discolored so it's not in perfect shape, but more importantly, it doesn't smell musty or laundered so it was a safe curiosity to explore.

Front view with laces and eyelet side.

As you can see it laces up the front and along the sides there are about fifty eyelet hooks. Parts are elastic or rubber, there are stiff "ribs" or boning in the back to hold you posture perfect, garter belts (!) for stockings, the fiber content is cotton, rayon and rubber, and the design of the material is a very pretty pale pink floral pattern. It's a size 44 so it wasn't for a petite woman. I wonder how old it is?  Ah! I love historical research!

Back view with ribbing.
Rubber has been around since the early 1800s and rayon since the late 1890s. Zippers were first manufactured in 1913, but I don't know if zippers were ever really used for undergarments. According to the tag it was manufactured by Carol Brent who was a designer for Montgomery Ward in the 1950s and 1960s. There are vintage garments for sale online by this designer, but this contraption seems a little archaic for the 1960s. I'm not that familiar with underwear history so what do I know? The lacing in the front, eyelets on the side and the position of the elastic which is along the sides and under the lacing makes me wonder if this isn't a maternity corset? Although I'm not sure why anyone would want to wear a corset while they are pregnant. Maybe it was fashionable? Maybe it was supportive and comfortable? Hmmmm.... There is a hook underneath the breast area, but I can't tell where it hooks and what it's for unless there is a missing piece.

Fascinating. OK, I've had my fun. Now what do I do with it???????

1 comment: