Friday, June 6, 2014

Let There Be Light! (Closet Remodel, Part 2)


For nine years I've been hand-sawing wood with my $1 yard sale hand saw while dreaming of something a little more speedy.



 
I've always wanted a circular saw, but avoided buying one because I wasn't sure if I wanted to be weighed down with a garage full of tools. Where does a tiny home dweller store the massive numbers of tools they accumulate in the building of their tiny home if the whole point is to downsize? Man tools are heavy and take up space. Still, I'll need them if I want to build or repair anything. So I bought myself a new circular saw!


 
So awesome. A new toy that will save me all kinds of time and energy. And I picked out a lightweight model so I don't have to fight trying to control it. I've watched incredibly strong construction workers wield them with one hand, but there is no way I can hold a heavy board with one hand and handle an instrument with a sharp blade with the other hand. This one's a girl saw...lightweight and pretty! I've borrowed many circular saws over the years and they've all been used and well-worn. This one is clean and sparkly. It also has a laser light on it. Cool. It took me about an hour to read the instructions and figure out how to attach the blade and the whole time I was thinking it would take a construction guy about two seconds to do this! I got it working which made me giggle like an idiot and I practiced by making two cuts on a piece of 2 x 4 board, then...it stopped. Nothing! I was so disappointed. The laser light still worked so I knew it wasn't my newly remodeled outlets nor my newly remodeled extension cord. (I've been doing a lot of electricity lately. 'Tis the summer of electricity.) I ended up having to exchange the saw for another.

This is nothing new. Nearly every piece of equipment or supply I've had to return at least once. I returned one outlet three times because I kept buying the wrong type. The hardware stores are an hour's drive so any errors in judgment are not quickly remedied. It's very time consuming. I doubt if experienced construction workers do such stupid things. Still, this is how one learns and I'm learning a lot!

I added 2 x 4 boards to the top of the studs to support the ceiling and I ELECTRIFIED the closet!

Two by four boards added to support ceilings.

View without lamps because I bought the wrong type of lamp! UGH!

It wasn't easy. I thought I felt confident until I realized the old wiring didn't match the new wiring and I wasn't quite sure what to do with an extra wire. Then, of course, I realized I bought the wrong type of lamps and had to exchange those. UGH! With every electrical venture I end up bleeding. I keep stabbing myself with the screwdriver as I try to force the skinny, slippery, little wires into place. If I start to bleed, I know I'm doing it right. HA!
 
But I have electrified my closets!!  Yatna, the Courageous Menopausal Warrior is now an ELECTRICIAN!

So beauteous...like a light from heaven!
 
Next...the ceilings and walls!!

1 comment:

  1. Hahahaha! Way to go Yatna! I'll know who to call in future my wiring gives me a problem! :P

    ReplyDelete