Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Squash Babies

My squash are growing wonderfully. I have about three pumpkins and around six delicata with many more baby starts.

 
I wasn't sure how the delicata would do on the side of the house so I am delighted they are doing so well. Only one of the four delicata are crawling on the pallet, the other three are traversing through the garden with no intention of stopping. We'll see how far they travel.



The pallet trellis is supporting the pumpkin vines which are skinny and not as big as the delicata vines. The pallets keep the fruit from being on the ground and susceptible to insects.


This garden bed was piled high with rabbit manure last fall but one would never know. The dirt mounds are all gone and the bed flat. So much for the raised bed idea....

3 comments:

  1. I love delicata squashes! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you know when the squashes are ripe? (Ongoing discussion at our house)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no clue! When they start looking edible I try one. I think my delicate are too white and only because the ones in the stores have a yellowy tone with darker green stripes.

      Delete