Monday, August 19, 2013

Cob Houses

I want a cob house! I think it would go well with desert landscaping, in fact, I think it would beautify a desert environment. They are also chemical-free, earthquake resistant, insect resistant and so cute. Hobbit houses! I'm up for it!
 
 
 

 
I can imagine a whole chemically-sensitive village of cob houses out in the desert. How superb! They don't have to be very big either. Just large enough for shelter from the elements, bathroom facilities, and electricity. I think those who are living out of their cars would appreciate a little home like this. Then maybe a community center with showers, recreation area, and a kitchen. People who want a bigger cob house can build their own.
 
What I could do with a lottery winning right now!

2 comments:

  1. I was up close to one of these of late and took a giant sniff of the inner wall....nothing! Yay

    Uneducated question, is radon a concern for these and earthen homes do you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny you are sniffing walls. Most people might see you doing that and thing you are strange - not me! I understand completely as I would do the same thing.

      Cob is just dirt and straw so they should be fairly chemically-free. Some people are wondering about mold...but they are built to keep water off them so I think as long as they are built properly they'd be fine.

      Isn't radon in granite? I don't think it's in dirt. Unless you use granite countertops or floors I think the cob itself would be radon-free. I'm not sure.

      Delete