Friday, November 15, 2013

Clam Digging

I only look annoyed because
I haven't caught any clams yet.
It wasn't difficult for my friend to talk me into a clamming license this year, even though I only used last year's license twice. Last year was butter clams and I have to say, although it was a new and exciting thing to do, not nearly as fun and exciting as digging for razor clams! Razor clams run! Or rather, attempt to dig themselves to safety so there is much more challenge and skill involved.

I haven't gone razor clam digging since I was very young. My grandmother was incredibly fast, strong and skilled at clam digging much more so than my grandfather so I have fond memories of gender pride. We used to help by identifying the "shows" so they knew where to dig, but we were too small to dig fast enough to catch one.

My friend has a clam "gun." It's not really a gun, but a tube that digs into the sand and can pull up massive amounts of sand out of a hole, hopefully along with the clam. So fun. There is a technique to it that I mastered in no time, but hauling wet sand out of a hole is exhausting. We've gone twice and both times shared his clam gun which gives my shoulders, knees and back a break. It takes some practice to get strong.

The first time I didn't even get my limit so I gave them all to my friend. The second time I didn't either, and he gave all his to me. My friend taught me how to clean them. I didn't like this part. It's like murdering small, helpless animals, even though they don't have eyes and sweet expressions. But they sure taste good! I hadn't eaten clams for years! Sorry to say, they aren't on the Hashimoto's diet as shellfish are considered toxic, but it's part of the local culture so I'm cheating. And these are as fresh as you can get rather than canned.
 
Today I bought my own clam gun! I'm so proud. I feel "official." Other tools and supplies are: clam digging license, bucket or clam net for carrying the catch, flashlight, headlight or lantern, really warm clothes and lots of layers, rain gear, gloves for warmth and plastic gloves to keep your hands dry, and water-proof boots.

Clamming equipment (left to right): lantern, bucket, net, license,
clam gun, gloves, rubber boots

This time of the year it can be very cold and wet so it pays to stay warm and dry. Low tide is often right at dusk and the best digging is after dark. When clam season opened a few weeks ago, I had never seen so many people on the beach at one time.

The first time we went I didn't have boots as my old ones were worn and no longer water proof. No boots means you don't have the luxury of wading in ice cold water and you constantly having to be aware of the waves unless you want to be soaked and freezing. This was a pain and made me not only ineffective, but not even helpful. Before the second dig, I bought some cheap boots at the local hardware store, but they were made with PVC so as soon as I got them in the car I couldn't breathe. I know PVC is deadly, but I figured I would get them home fast and let them offgas on the porch. I didn't even get out of the parking lot before I turned around and I returned them immediately all the while gasping for air. I know better! I got online and found 100% rubber boots at Cabela's, the store for all things outdoorsy or what I like to call the hunter's vortex complete with dead animal displays. Most of their products are made in the USA so I was very happy to spend twice as much for these boots in comparison to the cheap, toxic, Chinese-made boots. Good boots make all the difference and last twice as long. These boots still need to offgas out on the porch, but rubber isn't nearly as toxic as the PVC.

Third time, I went alone. I looked forward to it all week so when the rain started pouring and the wind blowing, did that stop me? No way! The great thing about bad weather is there aren't as many people. I finally got my limit of 15 and did it all before it got dark! Then this really cute Fish and Wildlife Officer pulled up beside me when I was walking back and asked how I did. He didn't want to count my clams, but I would have gladly showed them off. As we were talking I kept thinking, Oh Lord, I hope I counted right because if he counts and I'm over, I might be going to jail!"

Most of them nice and big, but the first couple I butchered
until I got the hang of it.
 
Ocean activities even during the cold of winter are not only invigorating, but also good for the respiratory tract. Any breathing difficulty or sinus congestion is quickly remedied with a good, clean ocean air activity. I look forward to these trips. I can breathe!


So fun! Excellent fragrance-free entertainment.

2 comments:

  1. Funnn! Oh gosh it's making me miss fresh mussles. Oh yummmmmmmmmm or a great clam chowder. Droool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice! I don't think we have such activities over here. If not Joel will sure be there, digging clams!

    ReplyDelete