Sunday, November 10, 2013

'Shrooms

Today I went mushroom hunting...in my backyard! I've never seen so many kinds of mushrooms. It must be exceptionally wet this year.




 







I see this one every year. They grow huge.
 
Every year mushroom buyers show up about this time, set up a little tent in the parking lot of a grocery store, wait for mushroom hunters to bring what they found, and pay them. I have no idea how much. If I see a buyer I might take some samples and see what I have.
 
One year I went mushroom hunting with a friend who has some property out in the country nearby. Some of the mushrooms she knew and had names for, but most we just stared at dumbfounded. I checked out some books from the library but it was a bit overwhelming as there are thousands of species. I think it would be fun to be a mushroom expert. As it is, I know nothing and don't plan to taste-test any of them. I don't have a death wish.

4 comments:

  1. The mushrooms are great this year! Long ago, we used to identify them using a book called Mushrooms Demystified. Now I just enjoy them in place. Switzerland has govt depts in every town that identify mushrooms for people on Mondays and Thursdays. Nice service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might have been the book I used and you might have been the person to tell me about it! I still don't trust if I'm identifying them correctly so I'd never eat them as I'm too insecure. What we don't know could kill us! :)


      Switzerland is awesome.

      Delete