Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The Decapitation of Nancy

Nancy is the biggest sunflower and the first to start sagging due to the weight of her seeds.

 
 
 
The rains and winds didn't help either.
 
 
 
Poor Nancy!
 
 
 
So I decapitated her.



My gardening books say to wait until the backs start turning yellow then brown, but I tried that last year. The rains soaked the flowers so thoroughly they never dried out completely and I lost a lot of seeds to mold and rot. This time I decapitated before the torrents of rain.

You can see the seeds here.


Nancy, along with some of her once-cheerful friends, is now drying on the clothes rack over the heater vent. I don't know if this will work, if the seeds should mature on the plant, but it's better than water rot. We'll see!


 
 
 
Gardening is a very violent preoccupation!

2 comments:

  1. WOW! Those are some gigantic sunflower heads! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, one head would supply me with seeds for years. I think I'll give some of the other heads away to my neighbors so everyone has sunflowers growing next year.

      Delete