Saturday, January 3, 2015

Parsnip Fries (recipe)

SEE WARNING AT BOTTOM OF POST!

This recipe is a great substitute for French fries.  They are quite good especially if potatoes are forbidden on your diet as they are on mine.


If you cut them thick, they are like French fries (although with that parsnip-ish taste), but if you slice them very thin and bake them until they are toasty, I think they'd make great crackers or parsnip-chips. If you are missing crunchy foods, this will satisfy. As you can see from the photo, if you don't cut them evenly one way or the other, the little skinny ones will burn before the bigger pieces cook completely. As mentioned in the instructions, they tend to burn easily. And they have a very bizarre smell. Not bad, just different. I've never been much of a parsnip connoisseur.

I found this recipe on my friend's Pinterest account and it is originally from Paleo Grubs.

Ingredients
4 medium parsnips, peeled
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tsp truffle oil (optional)
2 tbsp parsley, chopped (optional)

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Don't buy large parsnips as their cores are tough. Medium or small are preferred. Slice the peeled parsnips into thin fries.Toss in a bowl with the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread out in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
Turn the fries over and place back in the oven. Turn up the heat to 450 degrees F. Bake for an additional 5-10 minutes until crispy, watching closely to make sure that the fries do not burn.

Second batch...I tried cutting them all the same size and ended
up with less burnt pieces. I'm becoming a parsnip fries pro!
Place the fries in a large bowl and toss with the parsley and truffle oil. I don't add this stuff, but I'm sure it would make them even better. Serve warm, topped with additional sea salt if desired.
Yum.

Parsnip Chips...Really Yummy!
WARNING: After a few indulgences I realized I was reacting badly to parsnips. BADLY! Online you will find this is a common allergen creating life-threatening symptoms to some people so make sure you can eat parsnips before you indulge. Read other post on parsnips for more information.

3 comments:

  1. I've never heard of parsnip being cooked in this manner! Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've NEVER eaten parsnips! I didn't even know what they looked like before I bought these. You could definitely use a different oil if olive doesn't work for you. Yum.

      Delete
  2. They look great! I'll try them some time.

    ReplyDelete