Thursday, January 15, 2015

Probiotics

Probiotics. What a weird word. I wonder who made it up? Nevertheless, probiotics is a very popular dietary concept. Not that it's new or anything as for years eating yogurt with live cultures has been touted as a cure-all for all manner of illness.

Now, however, it seems everyone knows we must cultivate and keep good bacteria in our digestive tract for optimal assimilation of nutrients and proper digestion of foods. We've killed off these beneficial bugs with too many antibiotic drugs, or by eating too much antibiotic-saturated meats, or ingesting any number of chemicals found in our food and water. Junk foods high in sugar and low in nutrients have created the perfect environment for the bad bacteria (yeast) to grow and overuse of antacids have depleted our system of much needed hydrochloric acid required for digestion. Is it any wonder we can digest anything?

The AIP diet is all about healing the digestive system by eliminating foods difficult or impossible to digest, and most importantly, replenishing good bacteria with foods such as sugar-free coconut milk-based yogurt, water kefir, kombucha, and/or raw, fermented vegetables such as kimchi, ginger, cucumbers, or sauerkraut. It is highly suggested to use anaerobic fermented products that use air-tight containers in the process to avoid common side effects of rashes, digestive upset, or inflammation. Also, to further avoid any bad reactions, wait about three weeks after starting the AIP diet and introduce the probiotic slowly and in small quantities.

Of course, I didn't find these instructions until later or maybe I was in denial and just ignored the whole fermented foods thing? Fortunately I was already aware of potential problems with adding large quantities of new foods to my diet and I didn't get brave enough to try fermented, bug-filled foods until after the second week of the diet. Hooray for good timing! I can't seem to find plain, coconut yogurt without sugar, I won't drink kefir (blah), and I have no idea what kombucha nor kimchi is although I can't find either at my co-op anyway. For too long I was eating dairy-based yogurt with real bacteria with no problem, but dairy is not allowed on any diet since it is so problematic for most.

Sauerkraut. Eeeewww. I remember sauerkraut from my childhood. Nasty texture and nasty sour taste. It made hot dogs taste like crap. Of course, my family bought the processed stuff that looked like a pile of thin, white tapeworms, tasted like someone soaked it in battery acid, and squeaked between your teeth with every chew. I didn't have any hope for sauerkraut but I thought maybe if I just eat a small spoonful a day this would work.

At the co-op they sell raw, locally-made sauerkraut for $7.91 for 16 ounces. I checked with a friend who loves sauerkraut and who just took a class on how to make it at home. I told her if I can't eat it, I'd give it to her rather than waste the money by throwing it in the garbage. I've thrown a whole lot of expensive food in the garbage since starting this diet which embarrasses me since there are so many starving people in the world. It makes me feel like an entitled, spoiled American.


I got it home, eager to experiment, and ate just one small teaspoon. Hmmm...nothing like I remembered. Yes, it had a tangy taste, but no skinny worms. It looked like thinly sliced cabbage. Recognizable. I can do that.

Fifteen minutes later...I was craving more! THAT IS A GOOD SIGN! So I ate more, but not a lot. I've learned my lesson. No side effects or bad reactions. Who would have thought? I've been eating small amounts of it 2-3 times a day.

I am on my way to a healthy, bug-replenished digestive system!

2 comments:

  1. I love the taste of sauerkraut (I also used to love the tapeworm kind on hot dogs under the mustard). The store bought kind has too much salt for me. I made some a few months ago - a lady at the farmers market told me how. I got some "kraut cabbage", which is regular cabbage that's so densely packed that most of it is ribs not leaves. I shredded it into bowl and added 1T salt for each quart. I ground it with a jar and then squeezed it with my hands until it was a little smashed and there was liquid around it. I put it in quart canning jars with the lids on loosely and left them on the counter for 4 days. I released the lid once or twice a day. Pretty soon I had great sauerkraut. It kept in the frig for over two months. It gets better tasting with time. I don't know what the bugs are, but they are better for me than any other commercial probiotic foods (they have too much yeast i think).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard it's really easy to make as there are some easy tricks. I guess the moldy part is the problematic step. I read there are something like 600 different bacteria in sauerkraut, more that any other source.

      Delete