Thursday, January 1, 2015

Service Project 2015

I've been looking for a new service project since discovering the wetlands trail doesn't seem to have much garbage lately. I found one! I plan to single-handedly clean up the beach!  I realize with the houses falling into the ocean, I might get discouraged or overwhelmed. I'm pretty sure ten large semi-trucks could be filled with garbage and still not make a dent. My plan is for every visit to the ocean I will take a small grocery bag, fill it with beach garbage, and bring it home to be deposited in my garbage can. It'll be a little at a time. I can't stand looking at the garbage on the beach so in my own small way I'll do something about it.

Yesterday I went to the beach and there was so much garbage floating along the water line, more than I've ever seen before. Even boat floats! Big, black floats. At first I was afraid to mess with them. Then I thought maybe a boat sunk!?

I stopped a man who I'd seen often walking on the beach and asked him. He said that was common. He looked at my garbage bag, smiled and said, "That's a lost cause." I told him my plan. He said, "Just throw it back in the ocean. The waves will take it away and it'll all end up down there." He pointed to where all the fallen houses are. He did say once a year there is a community beach clean up day.

 
I am not discouraged. One bag every visit. It's quiet, peaceful, and no one is going to poison me. It's the perfect volunteer project for me.

Clam Digging Day!

3 comments:

  1. A great idea! You could put up signs around town for a Community Beach Cleanup Day, with a Saturday time and place to meet and see if anyone comes down! No contact info needed. Put them up in the nearest store/town to a likely beach. Have a few extra trash bags in your pack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But then stinky people would show up and ruin it for me...which would defeat the purpose.

      Delete