Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Shrimp and Avocado Salad (recipe)

I found this recipe on the The Paleo Mom blog. It has shrimp or prawns which are not allowed on the Hashimoto's diet especially large prawns since they are considered too polluted and toxic. Shellfish is highly recommended for the AIP and Paleo diets since they are so high in good fat, Omega-3's, and minerals. I don't know. I figured if I don't eat them too often, it'll be OK. Usually when I eat prawns I have weird dreams and that is a clear indication that I ate something mildly toxic.

However, this recipe has cilantro in it. I love the smell of cilantro and have tried to grow it in my garden in year's past. I tend to shy away from cilantro as it has such a strong taste, but it's an effective detoxifier of one's liver so I'm always adding it to salads or Mexican dishes. I'm thinking the cilantro will neutralize the toxicity of the prawns. Maybe? Hmmm... I don't know if it was the lime, but the cilantro wasn't overbearing as usual. Very good!


Ingredients for Cilantro Dressing:

3 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1/2 cup of fresh cilantro
salt and pepper

Salad ingredients:

1 lb. cooked shrimp or prawns, shelled and de-veined
2 avocados, peeled and sliced
4 cups of lettuce or salad greens
Cilantro Dressing

Combine dressing ingredients and pour over shrimp or prawns. Mix to coat. Refrigerate for about an hour.

Place lettuce in a bowl, add avocados and shrimp/prawn mixture.

Eat.

YUM!

My dreams that night weren't anxiety-ridden or horrifying, but they went on all night. Every time I'd wake up then fall back to sleep, they'd continue. I went from being in my house with strange men outside my window, to volunteering in a hospital, to visiting Jason Mraz with his kids (he doesn't have kids), to teaching in a strange school. My brain is so weird....

3 comments:

  1. That was so funny!!! Strange men outside the window!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...at the time it wasn't funny. I was freaked out why they were standing right outside my window and then they saw me peaking at them and I demanded to know what they were doing. Weird I know, but not really. I'd be just as freaked out if there were really men outside my window!

      Delete
  2. Confronting them in your dream must be a good sign. I make a similar salad of chunks - avo, shrimps, cucumber, mango chunks, red onion, cilantro, lime juice. Kind of a ceviche. It's quick - I use frozen shrimps and pour hot water over them, and frozen mango chunks. It's really good, especially when your stomach is queasy - you need to eat but nothing sounds good. It's light and refreshing. Yours sounds good too.

    ReplyDelete