Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Entertainment, Part Eight: Painting


Rembrandt Peale, Raphael, Vincent van Gogh are the most notable chemically sensitive painters in art history. I've already included information about Peale in my post titled, "The Weirdness Awards". In the 1700s, his family and friends did not understanding chemical sensitivity and thought his weird behavior was due to excessive drinking. Raphael died from lead poisoning. Before anyone had any understanding of the ramifications of chemical exposures, it was common practice to put a paint brush dipped in lead-based paint in your mouth to sharpen the tip for detail painting. I think most people have heard of Vincent van Gogh cutting off his ear. There are several medical theories behind his behavior: schizophrenia, bipolar illness, and/or depression, all conditions with connections to chemicals.  Lead-based paint was incredibly poisonous, and paints these days although slightly less deadly, are still made with toxic chemicals that reek havoc not only on the health of MCSers, but also non-sensitive artists as well.

What to do if you love to paint? I've tried giving it up. It calls to me. Since giving it up doesn't work, I've found alternatives and safety precautions that work for me.

Pillows
(Low VOC House Paint)
My safety practices include:

1.) Whiff testing. To find out if any paint will kill you, you'll need to sample it to see if it'll cause a reaction. I know that sounds absolutely insane so this level of courage (stupidity?) is only for those not willing to give up their love of painting.  I research what I'm considering in advance, ask experts, read documentation, ask other painters, and make sure my toxic load is low before I start the whiffing. With this backup information, I feel fairly confident I can tolerate one half whiff, but I know I'll only get one chance if I react. On many occasion I've paid for it with an afternoon of illness or an excruciating migraine. Many of you won't be able to do this at all.
Walls, Chair, Mirror
(Low VOC House Paint)

2.)  I try to paint mostly during the summer for optimum ventilation and faster drying, however, during the winter when it gets cold and I get bored (no gardening!) I'll paint an interior wall, or a ceiling, or a floor.

3.)  I limit how much I paint as my tolerance is dependent on my toxic load at the time. I can usually expose myself for one to two weeks, maybe an hour a day, before I must stop.


4.) Ventilation is extremely important so when possible I paint moveable objects in my garage which has doors on each end and use a fan on high to help the air move the smell away from me.

 
 
Painted Quilts
(Low VOC House Paint)
5.)  I avoid painting near any high-use living space.  When I paint interior rooms I seal them off with tarps and sheets, open windows, use fans and do not return for days until the paint is dried and cured. (I did, unfortunately, use an extra toxic paint on my upstairs floors and couldn't use the whole upstairs for nine months.)


Desk (Low VOC House Paint)
Painting (Acrylic Paint)
6.)  I use body protection devices: respirators or masks, aprons, gloves and goggles. I read a study that concluded our eyes inhale fumes and you really don't want to be touching the paint.


I've tried several different types of breathing protection devices. The first was $100 high tech respirator with fancy filters, but because it was made of plastic, it offgassed plastic fumes. I also found a mask specifically for fumes at the local hardware store. Oddly enough, it smelled, too. I wondered if it was treated with some kind of masking chemical? Lately I've been using a 3M 8577 Particulate Respirator with an air valve. Although it's not for fumes, it seems to work fine. Still, it helps to have a fan on high blowing the fumes away from me at all times.


Paints:


The strong smells associated with oil paints and the methods of using turpentine or mineral spirits for thinning or clean up is enough to make any MCSer unable to be in the same room with a canvas. Many artists not chemically sensitive can't tolerate oil paints either.

Pillow (Acrylic Paint)
I switched to acrylic paints early, long before I became chemically sensitive. As a water-based medium, clean up was much easier and it was thought to be a safe, scent-free medium. Unfortunately, if you are chemically sensitive, even acrylic paints stink. I was always restricted to how long I could paint and when my toxic load had reached its limit, I'd have to stop. It didn't seem to matter how many precautions I took, it always made me slightly ill. On occasion I still use acrylics for small items that need a hardy surface like lamps, boxes, light switch plates, etc., but I make sure there is a lot of ventilation.



Having moved into a house that needed rooms painted, I began researching low VOC interior house paints. What this means is the paint base has little toxic chemicals. Adding color adds more chemicals creating more toxicity. Some brands offer nearly no VOC, but you are limited to whites and very light pastels. Unfortunately, I love color so I've been willing to sacrifice a little safety in order to get it.


Switch Plates
(Low VOC House Paint)
Currently there are many brands of low VOC house paint on the market. Some are good and clearly less hazardous; others are just as bad as regular paint. With the popularity of low VOC paints, everyone is jumping on the bandwagon and some brands are obviously using "low VOC" as some kind of marketing ploy yet they still stink so I'm not sure what makes them less toxic. The typical paint store employee will regurgitate the latest sales propaganda on why they are supposed to be non-toxic, but few really know what they are talking about. I found the Rodda paint Horizon to be adequate. I still practice all my safety precautions and it still has a bit of a smell, but within two hours the smell is gone. 

Table & Chairs
(Low VOC House Paint)
I recently discovered Martha Stewart Living low VOC paint just as they discontinued the brand when they were closing out and bought nearly every color in small, seven ounce containers. I don't notice a smell while using it and hardly need a mask.  Glidden low VOC paint is what Martha Steward Living is recommending as a replacement for the colors, but I don't find it nearly as non-toxic as Horizon.

Using my safety precautions listed above, I have painted walls, furniture, canvases, paper and fabric with low VOC interior house paint. I doubt if it is washable so painting fabric has it's limitations.

Painted Quilt on Ceiling
(Low VOC House Paint
& Acrylic Paint)
Due to the limited amount of chemicals used, low VOC paint is recommended only for vertical surfaces. Paint on horizontal surfaces leaves a tacky texture and everything sticks to the surface. Durability is dependent on the number of chemicals used in the paint formula so low VOC is a bit of a sacrifice in quality. Technology is improving quickly so some of the newer brands might be better. For furniture that needs a durable surface, I use Miniwax Water-Based Polycrylic Protective Finish. It does stink so wear a mask and use a fan with open doors or windows. It also dries fast and after a few hours I can't smell it.



Currently, I'm still trying to give up painting so now I'm trying my hand at watercolor. It doesn't have any noticeable smell, but based on what I've read if you plan to use any color with cadmium and expect to touch it, wear gloves. It's that toxic! Who would have known? Still, this style of painting is the lesser of evils. Now if I can only get the hang of it so I can give up the other media for good!


I have also heard milk paint is relatively safe although I have not tried it.



Any other alternatives? Suggestions?

14 comments:

  1. Your paintings are LOVELY!!!!! Maybe you could experiment and come up with your own concoction of safe-paints?

    I don't do art anymore. I used to doodle and make all sorts of cards and bookmarks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It would be good to develop a safe-paint, but it has to have some chemicals and if I'm the tester, I'd be testing way too much!

      Do you miss art? I don't know if I'd still do it if I didn't live in the country. Fear of boredom makes me do all kinds of things I wouldn't normally do to keep myself occupied. Sometimes I get too ill and I wonder why I risk it.

      Delete
    2. All I know is that I miss music! Carpal tunnel has been misbehaving itself this week. Been dropping a lot of things this week.

      Delete
    3. How about developing paints with no chemicals involved? Like we use starch as glue. Maybe beetroot, purple cabbage and other colourful veggies could be turned into paint colours? I don't know. I'm just wondering.

      Delete
    4. That would be like natural dyes. It depends on what you paint, but the issue with non-chemical paint is it's not stable so it'll fade, probably really fast, and if you are painting something that needs to be wiped off, the non-chemical paint would probably wipe right off. I tried some natural dyes once. Nothing held to the fabric without adding some really toxic additives. Natural pigments, like the kind they used in ancient times, are REALLY expensive - made out of bugs, sea creatures and precious stones, etc. Purple in ancient times was really expensive which is why it was reserved for royalty in most civilizations. For instance, that fabric I dyed with rose water on the last post - it'll never be washed. :) Great idea, though. Milk paint, I've heard is pretty close. From what I remember milk paint (base is milk) is what was used on red barns in history. I think they used raspberries as the color. Some of these natural ingredients might stain whatever you are painting and that could be a cool look. It would be an adjustment. I kinda go for the bright colors...yes, I need to rethink my habits. :)

      Delete
    5. Those suggestions are really good for FOOD coloring - beet juice (red), blueberries (blue), saffron (for yellow). There was something else one could use for yellow, but I can't remember it. I've tried some of them when I used to make cookies.

      Can I make and eat some cookies now? I am craving sugar right now....

      Delete
    6. You know what I do when I have severe sugar craving? I put a teaspoon of brown sugar and pour some sunflower oil on the sugar and drizzle it on my chicken which I used to boil the soup! Then I pig out! The ecstasy is heavenly! I am ok cause my glucose levels are perfect. Can you eat sugar this way? Would it affect your health?

      Since you're gluten intolerant, you can try buckwheat. Buckwheat is not gluten!

      Delete
    7. I'm on a grain-free, sweetener-free, dairy-free diet and am only allowed coconut oil and olive oil for oils. I'm also not gluten intolerant - it's just the diet. Pain in the ass...

      I want some cookies!

      Delete
  2. You painted all of those things? Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My house is crazy with all the patterns painted on the walls and furniture. It definitely keeps me entertained!

      Delete
    2. Oh! I didn't paint Van Gogh's self-portrait - he did that himself.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Interesting. In the past I have dyed sugar cookie frosting with natural vegetable colors, but I've not seen paint made from natural substances. I look forward to experimenting.

      Delete
  4. Hey! I could have sworn I've been to this blog before but after reading through
    some of the post I realized it's new to me. Nonetheless, I'm definitely delighted I found it and
    I'll be bookmarking and checking back frequently!


    my page - Bio Muscle XR

    ReplyDelete