Sunday, April 29, 2012

Ocean Adventures, Part Four: Snoozing

Today was my fourth ocean adventure. I didn't want to go. I was tired. Although it's been my intention to try to visit a different beach with each visit, it takes time to drive further and further up the coast in search of a new one. Today I just felt like being a couch potato and forgetting the beach. But it was the end of the month and there is nothing like public guilt in the form of a blog to keep one motivated toward keeping a New Year's Resolution.

In addition to not being enthusiastic, I was afraid it would be another beach much like the last and the one before. Sand, water, dunes....beautiful, fresh air, but maybe this time I wouldn't find an adventure?



I went to the beach my grandparents claimed was the best clam digging on the coast. Along the shoreline there were holes in the sand filled with water from recent diggings. I had to watch where I walked as not to fall in one. The beach was actually much cleaner than others and no traffic access which was nice.

Birds are migrating home so I thought I'd expand on my bird theme of the previous week as a back up to no adventure. YAWN.





Not a very exciting theme even with thousands of birds on the beach. YAWN.




Lots of broken shells, but few whole ones.  The tide was way out, but coming back in.


I walked down the beach, circled around looking for shells. Out of the corner of my eye I kept seeing a lump on the sand, but didn't think anything of it. I wandered toward it slowly thinking it would give me something to explore. A piece of driftwood, a log, a dead seagull. And then I got closer...




A SEAL BABY!!!!!!

I froze, staring, dumbfounded. There are warning signs on some beaches (not this one) about the baby seals, but I've never seen a real baby seal all the years I have been beach combing. The warnings say to stay away from them, at least 100 feet. Their mothers have dropped them off to rest while they go hunting. You can see her tracks in the above photo. Unfortunately, I was already within 20 feet. I was in such shock I almost forgot I had a camera with me. Then it dawned on me, maybe it was hurt or dead? He looked dead, laying on his side all stretched out. As I stood contemplating the situation, the little baby stretched, yawned, wiggled his fins, then went back to sleep. OH MY GOD! Nope, just snoozing on the beach.





I took this picture with my close up. I was really too afraid to get much closer.  So pretty - silky white fur and a big, fat tummy. Then I felt incredibly protective, not sure if I should guard the baby or just leave be. I looked around for people or dogs running loose, but only a few people around and far away so I headed back to my vehicle.

On the way back I did run into a couple with dogs on leashes. They told me they came across a baby seal that started crying and trying to follow them. They were horrified. The woman said she was so upset that she started crying. They didn't realize they weren't supposed to touch them so they drug the baby by its fins to the water and it swam off. Hmmm...that gives me nightmares. Like dragging a toddler to the street and letting him loose to run free in traffic. Anything could come by and eat the baby in one gulp. Hopefully, the mother was just off shore watching.

So I left the baby right where he was, hoped mama seal would be back soon, and that everyone would leave him alone.  I can't stop thinking about him and hope he is alright.

Hooray for a really awesome ocean adventure!

5 comments:

  1. Sooo cute! Maybe you should go back tomorrow and make sure he's gone? :) Now I'm worried about him too

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHA Yeah, I know. I think I need to let nature take it's course. I hate it. Although this is my first baby seal encounter, it's pretty common, common enough to post signs about them all over. I can't protect every baby seal. If it was only a 20 minute drive I would, but this beach was 1 1/2 hours away. It was not good weather and there were few people on the beach. I worry more about dogs and I didn't see any other than those two ugly runt dogs on leashes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I did drive around looking for the park ranger as I was told he lived nearby. I stopped in the local tavern to ask and the bartender told me not to worry, baby seals are very common. Only stupid people mess up the system and most people won't hurt the baby, but only drag him to the water thinking that's what they need to do.

      Delete
    2. It looks so cute!!!! Imagine if momma came back while you were taking pictures! HOHOHO!!!!!!

      What a lovely outing. Aren't you glad that you weren't a potato couch that for SMASH-ed?! HAHAHAHA!!! And no, it has not gotten to the singing-to-Derek-part yet!

      Delete
    3. I don't think mama would have shown if I was near the baby. I wonder if she was watching me from the waves. I had nightmares all night about the other seal baby those people let loose in the water without the mama. Poor baby was probably lost. I hope its mama found him....

      Let me know when you see singing-to-Derek part. I love it.

      Delete