Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Highly Sensitive People

I am a highly sensitive person (HSP) or what some call sensory defensive. I've been vaguely aware of this most of my life. There are notes in my baby book describing my reactions to touching my brother's suede baby booties. I've always selected food based on texture and I don't have to read clothing labels as anything synthetic makes me want to gag and scrub my fingers on sandpaper. According to studies, red heads tend to be more sensitive, but I never really thought much about it until I became chemically sensitive.

The first book I read on sensitivity was Too Loud, Too Bright, Too Fast, Too Tight: What to Do If You Are Sensory Defensive in an Overstimulating World by Sharon Heller. There was an index entry on chemical sensitivity. I read the corresponding section and kept reading. Sensory defensive people don't like strange food textures, loud or repetitive noises, tight clothing, bright lights or wearing jewelry. All this time I thought I was just stranger than the average person! Who would have thought someone devised a label for it? AND the sensory defensive tend to be more reactive to chemicals in their environment.

Elaine N. Aron has written a series of books on the same subject: The Highly Sensitive Person, The Highly Sensitive Person Workbook, The Highly Sensitive Person in Love and The Highly Sensitive Child.  Here's the self-test. True or false:

I seem to be aware of subtleties in my environment.


Other people's moods affect me.



I tend to be very sensitive to pain.


I find myself needing to withdraw during busy days into bed or into a darkened room or any place where I can have some privacy and relief from stimulation.

I am particularly sensitive to the effects of caffeine.


I am easily overwhelmed by things like bright lights, strong smells, coarse fabrics, or sirens close by.

I have a rich, complex inner life.

I am made uncomfortable by loud noises.

I am deeply moved by the arts or music.



I am conscientious.


I startle easily.


I get rattled when I have a lot to do in a short amount of time.

When people are uncomfortable in a physical environment, I tend to know what needs to be done to make it more comfortable.

I am annoyed when people try to get me to do too many things at once.


I try hard to avoid making mistakes or forgetting things.

I make it a point to avoid violent movies and TV shows.



I become unpleasantly aroused when a lot is going on around me.

Changes in my life shake me up.

I notice and enjoy delicate or fine scents, tastes, sounds, and works of art.

I make it a high priority to arrange my life to avoid upsetting or overwhelming situations.


When I must compete or be observed while performing a task, I become so nervous or shaky that I do much worse than I would otherwise.



When I was a child, my parent or teachers seemed to see me as sensitive or shy.



Obviously the more "true" responses, the more sensitive you are and as a general guideline if you claim "true" on at least 12 you are a highly sensitive person. Out of 22 only one doesn't apply to me. The books are fascinating. There is also a test to determine if you are a sensation seeker and even though those two descriptions might sound contradictory, they actually work together. There is something very validating about recognizing your own personal weirdnesses in a theory.


No comments:

Post a Comment