Friday, April 13, 2012

Entertainment, Part One: Introduction

Enough of this doom and gloom, it's time for entertainment! Having fun is what makes life enjoyable. Unfortunately with MCS, we are often faced with denying ourselves fun so we can be healthy.

My self-imposed exile and isolation on the edge of civilization has been difficult, but the main reason I was missing city life is the forfeiture of entertainment venues I had come to enjoy.  Giving up toxic activities was a requirement and moving away also helped removed the temptation. Initially, I resented having to deny myself these simple pleasures so many take for granted and I wondered if the improvement in health was worth sacrificing my soul. I began searching for non-toxic or less toxic entertainment options that would fulfill my need for fun so I wouldn't feel like such a martyr.


Most of my favorite activities involved people and anytime there are large numbers gathering for any reason, there is always stink. It doesn't matter how many times you ask people to be fragrance-free or whatever effort you make to communicate the need for unscented products, the more people involved, the more risk. At least one person will not understand what fragrance-free means and all it takes is one person to pollute the shared air. 

After years of failed group entertainment experimentation, I've learned to enjoy my own company. The stress and frustration was too exhausting. Making the adjustment from being a social butterfly to an antisocial recluse took about two years and during that period I thought I'd go stir crazy! After a while it was just easier to be alone or with one other person who I could trust to be unscented and safe. There are times I still wish I could participate in group events, but for the most part, I prefer the solitude. I like the quiet, lack of drama and lack of stress. Mix chemical sensitivity with people and there is always drama and stress!




Other enjoyable forms of entertainment involved handling toxic materials, art, for example. I researched and sampled all kinds of alternatives and replaced old methods and supplies with less toxic ones. Trial and error is always a risk as even minor exposures can wreak havoc on your well-being.  I also found ways to protect myself so I could do poisonous activities and live to tell about it.


Entertainment and activities I can't do anymore:

parties
dinner parties
fancy restaurants
concerts
nightclubs
bars
theater
air travel
girl shopping
city walking
art
family gatherings
holiday dinners
reunions
weddings
conferences

Entertainment and activities I can do with limitations:

outdoor activities
restaurants
art
cooking/baking
sewing
gardening
museums
computer fun
DVDs
reading
road trips

It's been an adjustment, no doubt. I focus on what I can do. I try not to dwell on what I can't do. And I'm constantly trying to tweak the rules to find better and safer options.

I'll discuss some of the larger entertainment categories in the next few posts. As usual, every person with MCS has a different story to tell with a variety of experiences and different levels of sensitivities. There are activities I can enjoy that won't be possible for others, and there are things I like to do that others wouldn't consider fun at all!


No comments:

Post a Comment