Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Entertainment, Part Seven: Arts & Crafts

Arts and crafts can be very problematic for anyone who is chemically sensitive. The book Artist Beware, by Michael McCann, is 591 pages of nearly every art material and process and their associated toxicities, listing chemicals, health hazards, and suggesting safety precautions. Warning: After reading about your favorite art activity, you may never want to do it again!
Dye-Stamped Fabric
Years ago, I used to design and print fabric using professional dyes requiring proper ventilation and body protection. I was constantly warned about the health hazards of these materials and the ramifications of not taking proper precautions. Did I listen? No. And I couldn't afford the fancy ventilation systems or respirators. Did this contribute to my fall into MCS hell? Probably.

One summer I signed on to  demonstrate and sell hand-stamped fabrics at a medieval faire. In the Middle Ages dyers didn't use respirators, electric fans or plastic gloves, and many of them didn't live long either. To work at this faire, I was required to be historically authentic so no safety precautions were allowed. I can do that! Funny how we always think we are immortal and impervious to danger. It didn't take too long before I would work with dyes for three hours, and be sick unable to get out of bed for three days. Needless to say, my career as a medieval dyer didn't last long.  

Acrylic-Stamped Fabric
(background dyed with rose water)
Eventually I did go back to printing fabric, but unable to use dyes I replaced them with acrylic paint. Unfortunately, acrylic paint doesn't feel like dyed fabric as the texture is stiff making it somewhat unsuitable for clothing. And acrylic paint, although washable, is not as permanent. However, it still afforded me the luxury of doing what I loved without the poisoning. For a while, anyway.

For many, art calls to us, serves as a form of expression, and even gives meaning to life.  People always ask me, "Should you really be doing that? Isn't that as bad as perfume or any other toxic chemical?" Well, yeah, sometimes it is, but it's perfume wearers who are usually asking the question and believe it or not, perfume is more toxic to me than any art supply. Even so, giving up our artistic drive isn't always an easy option, so we need to find ways to practice what we love to do without killing ourselves. 


I tend to judge the toxicity of art supplies and processes based on smell because for me smell is a clear indication of chemical offgassing. My burning nostrils and constricting throat don't lie. However, I understand many chemicals don't smell.  Then I ask, is it making me sick? Nausea? Headaches? Dizziness? Joint Pain? Fatigue?

Here are my choices for relatively safe creative expression media:


Pencil
Drawing  Materials used for drawing such as graphite, pencils, charcoal, Conté crayons, wax crayons, pastels, and ink are often less toxic than other art media due to lack of fumes. However, many of them are made with toxic chemicals such as lead chromate, cadmium, and manganese. Felt-tip markers and some inks often contain toluene and xylene, both cancer-causing agents. Toluene is found in all perfumes. Even relatively non-toxic drawing materials still may produce lung-irritating dust.  Graphite and pencils are the least problematic.


Rose Bead Bracelets
Beading  Beads may be made with nearly any type of material so non-toxic options are plentiful. Glass, wood, and ceramic beads have been around for centuries and are relatively non-toxic. I used to make rose beads from mashed up rose petals. Rose beads have a long tradition and a fascinating symbolic and religious history. They have been found in 4,000 year old Egyptian tombs (still smelling like roses!) and are associated with religions from all over the world. Catholic rosaries were once made from rose beads as roses and the rosary were thought to represent the Virgin Mary. Today, many rosaries are still made with carved rosewood beads. I've made rose beads from dried rose hips as well. These beads stink to high heaven, but I don't have any issues with them probably because they aren't made with chemicals. I'd be concerned with beads made from plastic or made in China.

Fiber Arts  Get some nice sheep, maybe a friendly angora goat or extra hairy rabbit and make your own yarns and threads for weaving, knitting, and crocheting. Use natural dyes for colors if desire. This is an art form I've always wanted to learn and think it might be a suitable substitute for fabric design printing. Some day. Another substitute for dyed fabric design is quilting. All you need is a sewing kit, a sewing machine, and massive amounts of organic fabric! With fiber arts, there are many creative options.


Painting  I'm not going to exclude painting although it's fairly toxic. I do it anyway...bad, bad, me!  Too much information so it gets its own post!


What art alternatives have you found to be suitable?




2 comments:

  1. I have not done art in ages! But the colour pencils that I buy for Joel is 'non-toxic' as the packagings claim! How it is 'non-toxic', I have no idea. Or whether it is really 'non-toxic' or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think "non-toxic" is another catch-all phrase for marketing. BUT I do think pencils are the least toxic of art supplies - no dust, no stink, doesn't get all over your skin. I suppose if you ate them...

      Delete